Do Macs Play FLAC?

My my understanding was always that they could not play FLAC encoded files.  I just installed a Synology NAS.  I have a Bluesound Vault 2 with about 300 CDs that were ripped in FLAC and was able to transfer the contents of the Vault 2 to the NAS.  These show up as FLAC files in the NAS index.  To my surprise, they play on my MAcAir, purchased in in 2013, via usb into a Bryston DAC3.  I had assumed I would need a music playing program to make these files playable on the Mac.  I have no FLAC converting software loaded onto the Mac
mahler123

The plot thickens.  I just downloaded the Mac version of dbpoweramp and attempted to rip 2 albums in FLAC.  They haven’t shown up on the NAS (or on the SSD of the Mac)
 One possibility is that I’ve not used the software correctly.  The other is that the Mac is somehow blocking a FLAC file from finding it’s way  to the NAS.
  Recall in my OP that the original FLAC files on the NAS were transferred directly from the Bluesound Vault, which rips and stores in FLAC.  The weird thing is that these files played back on the Mac
without having to be converted to another format 
Ignore the above...just figured out that with dbpoweramp The files get stored in the Music part of the Mac, and from there have to be moved to the NAS.  I will rip some more discs in FLAC (I had changed the codec to Apple Lossless to see if that would help) and report back
Ripped another disc in FLAC and it plays on the Mac
@25105 are you trying to play from a NAS?
I have the FLAC files in a folder on my mac mini and they play fine by pressing the spacebar.  What I want to do is import them into iTunes and play them from my library.  Thx.
Oh, that’s a different issue, I was asking if the hardware was capable at all of playing FLAC.  I couldn’t merge my files into iTunes on the Mac either, although they seemlessly merge on the NAS and play back via iTunes..Have you called Apple support to inquire?