CDs Vs LPs

Just wondering how many prefer CDs over LPs  or LPs over CDs for the best sound quality. Assuming that both turntable and CDP are same high end quality. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
@atmasphere 

Ralph, you mention aliasing. Do you think that you are hearing aliasing or the phase shift introduced by the brick wall filters, which are there in an attempt to prevent aliasing?

Or, is it the number of samples per waveform; that is, at 15KHz a waveform is sampled 3 times (Redbook), which is not very many. But I hear the distortion the same way: brightness causing headache, jitters, and irritability. Solved it with simple RC filters at 3KHz, and now I can positively enjoy a digital background.
nkonor said:

"tattooedtrackman,
Thanks for this thread and All that have kept it civilized while expressing your opinions. Wish the rest on this forum would pickup on this."

That's real nice, but y'know ... wspohn did call all the people that have pops and clicks "TOO LAZY".
And the fact that I actually am, extremely lazy, is not the point, LOL.

Dave

Do you think that you are hearing aliasing or the phase shift introduced by the brick wall filters, which are there in an attempt to prevent aliasing?
I know it was audible in the old days. I've not run a test recently to tell if its still a thing.
How I did it years ago to prove that I was not making it up to the pro-digital guys is I recorded a 20-20KHz sweep tone from an *analog* sweep generator, set to a slow sweep. The playback contained what is known in the analog world as 'birdies', chirp tones that were present along with the actual sweep tone. They are interactions with the scan frequency- IOW, aliasing. But in any other world, they are distortion, also known as 'inharmonic distortion' since they are based on the scan frequency and an interaction with the fundamental tone, and IME a special case of IMD.
So very easy to hear as brightness, since the ear converts all forms of distortion into some sort of tonality.

A bit of the aliasing is built into the recordings, so no matter how good your playback is, some recordings will have more than others. I think the pro audio ADC I used simply was not that good, but it was a long time ago and certainly made the point, since it was also a popular unit.
I haven’t delved much into vinyl as I don’t have the room for a vinyl rig, or to store vinyl in my current apartment. So instead I invested in a world class cd player (Vitus SCD-025 Mk2) which I placed on Stillpoints Ultra 6 feet + Ultra bases, Ultra LPI + paired with Jorma Prime cables to optimize the player.

I’ve heard my friends vinyl rigs and admit they do sound great. One of my friends owns a Kronos Pro Limited tt + SCPS-1 psu connected to a Vitus MP-P201 phono stage, and another friend has an AMG Viella V12, AMG 12JT Turbo tonearm + DS Audio Master 1 cart/EQ. So not cheap!

But whilst current vinyl pressings are expensive and by and large are more cheaply pressed, and with lower SQ than in vinyl’s heyday, audiophile cd’s have been closing the gap with formats such as XRCD24, UHQCD, DXD, SHM/Platinum SHM, Mofi Gold, K2HD etc. Playing a DXD or K2HD cd through the Vitus really wows you with it’s resolution, quietness, dynamic range, body and staging. For all the fuss and inconvenience of vinyl, i’m happy to stick with cd’s!
atmasphere wrote: " My biggest objection to digital is the distortion in the highs which in the digital world is known as aliasing. The ear converts it to a sort of brightness. These days its not nearly the problem it was years ago so I can listen to digital without much complaint. But when I play the LPs for my girlfriend, she hears the improvement right away (extra detail for some reason) and she hears the same things I do, so I think digital still has a way to go. Her daughter, who is 30, can't listen to digital at all; she says it makes her jittery and annoyed. She's not particularly pleasant to be around in that state, so when she comes over we have to have the stereo either off or on LP only. "
I agree the high frequency problems in digital have generally needed to be masked by other equipment, or artially solvedwith big buck equipment.When I recently bought a $7000 SACD/DAC Marantz SA-10 it was for one reason. That DSD upsampling (even for CD data) almost completely solves the digital glare. (and a lot better than  cheaper DACs)I still can hear some problems on a few less well recorded material,(particularly as I reestablish the clarity throughout the system, which had been set to hide the worst of the HF grunge) and I still use a glorified tube buffer to ameliorate the small issues. but now I can get my system to be more revealing and not wince!