OPPO or Something Else?

I am very ignorant in the latest and greatest in digital audio. My current setup is all analog with the exception of a CD player. Before OPPO announced their cease of production I read a lot of reviews and opinions from what a wonderful product it is. My main interest is in the quality of audio it can produce and not so much with the video capabilities. However, it is probably more capable than my current Blu Ray player (3D is not a concern).
Getting back to audio quality my sources are CD's and SACD's. I know that DAC's are all the rage with digital media. While researching the history of the various OPPO models that came out over the years, and paying close attention to user experiences with audio performance, it seems that with each model the audio quality improved with each release of a new model. Such as.....the 95 over the 93, the 105 over the 103, and the 205 over the 203.
Since the close of OPPO production it makes sense that the price of existing units in good condition would bring a premium price in the used market to those determined to purchase one. There are also many opinions that some of the upgrades to those units elevate them to a supreme product (those upgrades/modifications appear to cost almost as much as the units themselves).
Given that info on what my listening media is, would purchasing a used OPPO whether modded or not offer very good audio performance versus buying a different piece of equipment in the $1k to $1.5 range? I know that there are many OPPO users out there that are satisfied with their purchases. But I am mostly interested in opinions that have strolled down the OPPO path and have been disappointed with the audio performance.

jrpnde
Just to set it straight.
The 93 and 95 were same vintage with 95 having seperates DAC for audio and dedicated audio outputs to accompany it.
Same with 103 and 105 and then 203 and 205.

As a past owner of many OPPO players, 83, 93, 95, 105 and 205 imho the audio playback is a little underwhelming in stock form.
As an allrounder it is hard to beat as it will play just about any format of disc you can think of and its video capability especially on 4k is stunning.
But for pure audio, there are MANY cheaper options that do the job better .
Imho of course.
I am sure you will get lots of opinions.

I still have a 205 and a 93 in use but in ht rigs for their video performance as much as anything.
My main stereo system uses an,old Pioneer dv79 for CD and sacd playback.
But that's just me....

Any old Oppo will do if it has a digital output (coax).  Just add a Sychro-Mesh reclocker and you have a world-class digital source with 8psec of jitter.  No Transport delivers this, at any price:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154408.0\

Jitter is ALL that matters in a transport.  30-Day money-back guarantee, less shipping.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Not sure I would worry about servicing too much yet, OPPO did state they would provide 5 years of parts and tech support.
Do not forget OPPO are NOT going out of business, far from it. Just saying goodbye to disc based players.

Steve.
Not sure if OP was looking to just use as a transport, I do not believe he has a DAC so would need to add one of those too if just using as a transport, he states system is analog based,