So I'm looking to rebuild the home theater system

I’m looking at receivers under 3-4K. I don’t need more than 7.2, and am about 15 years out of date. There seems to be more bells and whistles, but what is the sound quality like now days?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

JD
128x128curiousjim
Curiousjim, 

The Market can best be divided by the Japanese brands with every feature under the sun and having decent to good sound quality

vs.

American and European brands, Arcam, Audiocontrol, Primare, NAD, that are more about sound quality.

The Arcam and Audiocontrol receivers are really special sonically, The Audiocontrol Maestro M7 receiver is an upgraded version the Arcam with an improved amplifier, and a longer warranty, both the Arcam and Audiocontrol products are made by Audiocontrol in Oregon. 

Over the years we have set up Onkyo, Integra and Denon and Marantz Receivers none of them sounded as warm, punchy and clean as the higher end brands mentioned above. 

We sell and display, Arcam, Audiocontrol, NAD, Anthem, if we can answer any specific questions please reach out to us.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

I would recommend Anthem. I am totally crazy and have been into 2 channel after mono since the 60s. I have been into multichannel since quadraphonic and got the first Yamaha DSP 1 that had all the algorithm
church and symphonic hall reverb info to simulate different room characteristics. I have had several different AV receivers and now have gone to seperates to get killer sound. I am using a 500  watt 5 channel amp, high current to drive large speakers in an Atmos set up.Anthem P5 Statement. Also AV60 pre pro for 2 channel and 7.1.4 Atmos.

Finest and quietest electronics I have ever came across so far.
I wouldn't steer you wrong go for it get the best.

For your budget you could almost get away with separates, even decent ones. Recent model marantz 8802a has dropped in price to just under 2k places are blowing them out to make way for he new 8805.  Anthem, lexicon, older krell, and outlaw 7 channel amps can be found for under 2k. So you can almost have it all at that budget.  The separate amp in most cases will be superior to the receiver but the setup is obviously more complex. 
alkaloid,

Thanks, I’ll check out Anthem. Now I ‘m in an odd sized area, (12X30) with both ends unusable, but hope to move into a 20X20 area soon.

JD