So I'm looking to rebuild the home theater system

I’m looking at receivers under 3-4K. I don’t need more than 7.2, and am about 15 years out of date. There seems to be more bells and whistles, but what is the sound quality like now days?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

JD
128x128curiousjim
alkaloid,

Thanks, I’ll check out Anthem. Now I ‘m in an odd sized area, (12X30) with both ends unusable, but hope to move into a 20X20 area soon.

JD

esthlos13,

This isn’t going to be a job for a processor and amp. By the time I buy both, I’ll be over my limit and won’t have any left for interconnects. LOL 

But really, for now I’m just going receivers.

Thanks.

JD
audiotroy,

You're correct about the 2 sides, but for this, money, sound and a few bells and whistles are king.  

Btw, what is up scaling video and is it anything to make a priority? 

Thanks.

JD

The reality is that when you build captavating home theater you don’t think about the bells and whistles instead you are drawn into the Movie, TV program or Sporting event other than good to excellent room correction, we would take a product which sounds better then one that has useless features such as transcoding, or video upconversion or other silly features.

We sell the Anthem and they are very, very good, however, they excell more at pure theater roles then the Arcam, Audiocontrol uniits which have overall better amplfication and greater musicality, which they should have for the additional cost an MRX 720 Anthem’s best selling 7 channel unit at $2,400.00 vs the Audiocontrol at $4,000.00 and the Arcam AVR 550 at $3,400.00 for a comparable bunch of channels.

So here is what we would rate in order of importance as criteria for selecting an AVR.

1: Sound quality for both music and theater
2: Quality or room correction
3: Does it have all the inputs and outputs that are required
4: Does the receiver have any streaming apps for music that I may want to access unless I am comfortable with adding an external box.
5: Reliability of product
6: Ease of servicibility
7: Upgradability modular NAD or non Modular everyone else.

These are the criteria that we value.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

Post removed