Help me pick a phono, pre and cart

Hi all,
My WF spending restraints are going away so I’m going to upgrade my system.
I primarily play CD, but also have an MMF-5 with Glass platter, Golding GX1022 cart going through a Clear Audio Nano to Ayre Ax-7e to Sig 2 Ce’s.

This year I’m going to Quatro CT’s and upgrading my vinyl pre and source side. Next year I’m upgrading my main pre and power amp.

I’m looking for help in picking a phono player pre and cart. My musical taste is pretty wide: female vocals, rock, blues, jazz; not much classical on vinyl. Think Amy Winehouse/Cold Specks/Pixies/Weezer/Jeff Beck/Johnny Winter/Winton Marsalis and Maynard Ferguson for you other old timers. LOL
My budget is about $8-10k

Right now my main thoughts are VPI Prime Scout or Prime with Grado Statement series cart, and an Ayre Px-5e pre.
In addition to specific item recommendations, I’m very interested in how to split the budget item wise. In other words more or less on player vs cart vs pre, I.e. Scout with Statement2 or Prime with Reference2 for example. Or go higher than 20-30% on the pre?
I lean towards spending the most on what’s least upgradeable - sorry if that’s too general or obvious.
Thanks much
Jim

jetson
@jetson

The most significant adverse consequence of running the Herron or the ARC phono stages that were mentioned into your Ayre amp is, IMO, likely to be weakness in the deep bass region. That is because the output impedance of those phono stages at deep bass frequencies undoubtedly rises to much higher values than the nominal spec, due to their use of a coupling capacitor at their outputs. (The impedance of a capacitor increases as frequency decreases).

Also, I see that the speakers you’re planning to purchase this year are spec’d at +/- 2 db down to 24 Hz, so their excellent deep bass extension is likely to make the issue more apparent than it would be with many other speakers.

I seem to recall a report here some time ago of reasonably good results running the Herron into 30K, although I don’t recall what speakers were being used. But I haven’t ever seen any reports about the Herron’s performance into an impedance as low as 20K. Also, I don’t know what the value (the number of microFarads) is of the coupling capacitor that is used in the design, which would help to quantify the issue.

I suspect that a phone call or email to Keith Herron would be the best way of determining if the issue is something you would want to live with until you obtain a new preamp. I’m sure he will give you a sincere and well-founded opinion.

A few months ago, btw, Keith did explicitly recommend to another member that his phono stage not be used in conjunction with a 10K load, citing the likelihood of compromised dynamics. See one of the posts by Uberwaltz dated 4-2-2018 in this thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ugraditus-is-calling-again-phono-stage?page=2

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

@almarg Al, you are correct regarding the impedance mismatch.  The OP may want to give Keith Herron a call to get his thoughts on mating the VTPH-2a to the Ayre.  Sometimes it's OK, sometimes not.  But I have always found Mr. Herron to be easy to talk to, honest and helpful.  

@dodgealum Bear Claws are supposed to work pretty well, too.  My Stillpoints came with the table so it wasn't painful.
@bpoletti Thanks also for the suggestion to call Keith Herron. 

As to the feet, it looks like VPI knew they needed improvement there. From one review I found:
”The four isolation feet on the bottom of the Prime, sitting in Delrin corner posts, were inspired by Stillpoints according to Weisfeld, ”
but I guess they didn’t quite hit the mark. 
I sent an email to Keith Herron, his prompt reply regarding the VTPH-2A and Ayre Ax-7:
" We have VTPH-2A customers that are using preamplifiers with 20k Ohms RCA single ended input impedances that are pleased with the sound.
I don't recommend going any lower than that. The 2 X 12AX7, 3 X 12AT7 version of the VTPH-2A has an output impedance of 400 Ohms so it will drive the Ayre preamplifier much better."