Newbie question.

I have a pretty nice older system. I don’t know a lot about high end audio. I’m learning about flac files and am interested in trying that out. Trying not to spend any serious money since I don’t know what I’m doing yet. And I have a question that is probably pretty dumb.

My system consists of a nice older (10-15 years old) pre-amp and amp. I’m using a new Sony tuner/amp/receiver with pre-out connectors into the pre-amp to listen to the radio. It has a 1/8 jack input port. If I have flac files on my iPhone and route them through this 1/8 inch jack into the Sony and then into the pre-amp.....am I defeating the purpose of using a lossless file format?

n80
An additional thought regarding the above. If you are doing so, set the output from the phone to fixed (vs. variable). You will be using the preamp to control gain / volume. Your phone may automatically do this, expecting volume to be controlled by the connector to the headphones. Best to check and make sure.
Thanks. I just tried this on my old system from high school (I had no idea you could do this) and it actually works quite well. The iPhone volume had to be set close to all the way up but with it at that volume it played through the old receiver quite well.
I downloaded a free sampler of music from HD Tracks this afternoon. Will see how they sound on the hifi system tomorrow.