Help me pick a phono, pre and cart

Hi all,
My WF spending restraints are going away so I’m going to upgrade my system.
I primarily play CD, but also have an MMF-5 with Glass platter, Golding GX1022 cart going through a Clear Audio Nano to Ayre Ax-7e to Sig 2 Ce’s.

This year I’m going to Quatro CT’s and upgrading my vinyl pre and source side. Next year I’m upgrading my main pre and power amp.

I’m looking for help in picking a phono player pre and cart. My musical taste is pretty wide: female vocals, rock, blues, jazz; not much classical on vinyl. Think Amy Winehouse/Cold Specks/Pixies/Weezer/Jeff Beck/Johnny Winter/Winton Marsalis and Maynard Ferguson for you other old timers. LOL
My budget is about $8-10k

Right now my main thoughts are VPI Prime Scout or Prime with Grado Statement series cart, and an Ayre Px-5e pre.
In addition to specific item recommendations, I’m very interested in how to split the budget item wise. In other words more or less on player vs cart vs pre, I.e. Scout with Statement2 or Prime with Reference2 for example. Or go higher than 20-30% on the pre?
I lean towards spending the most on what’s least upgradeable - sorry if that’s too general or obvious.
Thanks much
Jim

jetson
Post removed 
Going with a full-fledged preamplifier would make a lot of sense.
Try the Sutherland Engineering N1 https://sutherlandengineering.com/products/n1/
Owners Manual  https://sutherlandengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Sutherland-N1-OwnersManual.pdf

I've had mine for over a year now and haven't looked back! Drives long interconnects without issue as long as they don't behave strangely. 

Happy hunting
@jetson Well nobody else has said it, so if it's not too late, I will... I'd suggest giving more serious consideration to alternatives to a VPI. This is coming from someone who for a number of years owned a VPI TNT6HR(Basically the more discussed/reviewed HRX with the TNT plinth) and JMW12.7 arm, a combo of much higher performance than the VPIs you're considering and was happy with it at the time. My experience as leader of a local audio club (just a stone's throw from VPI!) let me listen to > a dozen VPIs including all variations of Classics and Primes in real world systems. In more cases than I'd care to detail, performance was mediocre. More than once users had mis-manufactured components with issues such as reversed internal wiring in mini DIN-to-RCA block. Others had speed variations that they didn't know were there until friends encouraged strobe testing. A number of users sold their VPIs and moved in varying directions. None ever regretted the change, nor moved back to VPI product. 
IMHO, day-to-day focus from Sheila & Harry were what led to the great reputation that VPI earned. Sheila was one helluva nice lady and passionate about getting things right for her customers. Harry is obviously a great engineer, and cut through much BS in the market(e.g. his stance on anti-skate on his arms). I don't know what involvement he has at this time, but anecdotes indicate that he is more-or-less in an advisory role and perhaps still doing some design. Other than a couple of longtime fanboys who usually jump in every thread with the same repeated comments(hello @Stringbean, lol), I don't get the sense that the majority of their large customer base with newer models is as thrilled as in the past. 
With your budget, you've got plenty of potential directions to go. If you land on a $2k phono stage, $1k cartridge & $1k for 2 cables, you've got about $6k for table and arm. You could consider for example:
- Vintage refurbished direct drive tables like Technics SP10mk2(about $3-4k totally refurbished) tougher to find top 70s-80s tables from Kenwood or Pioneer)
- New tables like the new DD Technics
- If you prefer other belt drive tables: Sota(also made in USA), Acoustic Solid or Avid. 
Not to rain anyone's parade, but their are lots of options out their that offer reliable quality that give IMHO superior performance at the price points discussed. Cheers,
Spencer
If in doubt, an excellent turntable with arm is the Technics SL1200G. Very non-resonant, speed is spot on, easy to set up.