insurance and shipping with UPS

I recently shipped a Levinson 432 amplifier with UPS.I brought it to UPS and requested that they box it. It was insured. During transit UPS dropped the amplifier and pretty much destroyed it. I offered to pay for repairs, however the buyer had no interest in purchasing the item. UPS inspected the damaged amplifier and denied my claim, insisting  the  amplifier was not properly packaged. Corporate denied responsibility and said the issue was between myself and the UPS franchise that shipped it. I've been dealing with the franchise for a month and they are fighting with corporate in an attempt to adjudicate the issue. Meanwhile, I've repaid the buyer and have had  no relief from UPS. The UPS website clearly states that if a franchise boxed the item they are responsible. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this issue, other than hiring an attorney? UPS seems to be somewhat of a scam operation. I did not realize that all UPS offices were franchises and am wondering why anyone would ship anything of value with them.
catsally1
I love the dumb comments to the OP that he should have packed the amp.  I know nothing about properly protecting heavy audio equipment and I bet neither do most of the people claiming all of us should package our heavy products ourselves.

So many “experts” on Audiogon don’t have a clue.
@vahes  "thousands".  Really?  Are you a dealer or what circumstance would place you in a position to see that many shattered Mc amps.?

@sfseay   Do you keep the original shipping cartons of the gear you own?  I would hope so.  I don't understand not having the original boxes designed to protect the gear.  

I would NEVER allow a UPS or even FEDEX employee pack up my gear.  If really in a pinch, I would contact the manufacturer and pay them for a carton made for the equipment in question.  Most top notch companies will do so willingly and for a reasonable price.  Simple and smart.

I often get packages from mfg with g-force shock watch labels.  shockwatch.com   

I keep all boxing from items I buy but unfortunately when you buy used the item you buy may not have its original box any longer and so gets shipped in a different box.
In that case then no you do not have the original packaging to use when /or you decide to sell.
sfseay writes: " I know nothing about properly protecting heavy audio equipment " then decided no one else here does either? I suggest you read what I wrote on how to pack any heavy equipment.I can guarantee it will  arrive in one piece. Particularly if the dense foam surrounding the item is 3" thick. The main thing is dropping.. You have to slow down the item enough to not rip off the transformer (which is the heaviest part in almost any heavy item) #1, and it dropped on a corner. to not bend the corner of the item. 
If the item is light weight, the foam should either be less dense. or cut so it has a lot of holes.The item should be able to move a little if it is dropped, compressing the foam to dissipate the force.   
I would usually get annoyed at someone for insulting me, but this time it is so blatantly stupid, I am just laughing.   
I agree the employees at UPS type stores including FedEx  have no idea how to pack an item. If it is valuable, I agree send for the OEM box.