Help me pick a phono, pre and cart

Hi all,
My WF spending restraints are going away so I’m going to upgrade my system.
I primarily play CD, but also have an MMF-5 with Glass platter, Golding GX1022 cart going through a Clear Audio Nano to Ayre Ax-7e to Sig 2 Ce’s.

This year I’m going to Quatro CT’s and upgrading my vinyl pre and source side. Next year I’m upgrading my main pre and power amp.

I’m looking for help in picking a phono player pre and cart. My musical taste is pretty wide: female vocals, rock, blues, jazz; not much classical on vinyl. Think Amy Winehouse/Cold Specks/Pixies/Weezer/Jeff Beck/Johnny Winter/Winton Marsalis and Maynard Ferguson for you other old timers. LOL
My budget is about $8-10k

Right now my main thoughts are VPI Prime Scout or Prime with Grado Statement series cart, and an Ayre Px-5e pre.
In addition to specific item recommendations, I’m very interested in how to split the budget item wise. In other words more or less on player vs cart vs pre, I.e. Scout with Statement2 or Prime with Reference2 for example. Or go higher than 20-30% on the pre?
I lean towards spending the most on what’s least upgradeable - sorry if that’s too general or obvious.
Thanks much
Jim

jetson
@chakster I find with the herron that you really don't need to go crazy on vintage Tubes. Keith has done an excellent job voicing it with the Tubes he provides. I bought the best telefunken Tubes you can get from Andy at vintage Tubes but when I went back to stock it was 99%. Now I'm running about $150 of Philips that I preferred in a direct AB against the teles and stock. So I sold the teles, bought some more Philips and pocketed the difference.  Now I should be set for life. 
I find with the herron that you really don't need to go crazy on vintage Tubes. Keith has done an excellent job voicing it with the Tubes he provides.
That has been my feeling as well.  While in the case of various tube power amps I have used over the years I have found small signal tubes to make dramatic differences, and in most applications I have found tubes from the 1940s to 1960s to be preferable to recent production, I have never felt any desire to tinker with the voicing Keith has achieved with the tubes he supplies in his phono stage.

Best regards,
-- Al 
I preferred the Zesto Andros phono pre over the Herron, but that is just me.  Different sounding phono stages, and the Herron is definitely more Neutral sounding and sounds more like a solid state phono stage.  Depends on what sound you're looking for.  My dealer loves the VPI line, as do I.   I would go with the VPI table, Zesto Andros, and for the cartridge either the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or an Airtight PC7.  If you order all from one dealer then you are likely to get a better discount built in from my experiences.  Feel free to message me if you'd like his info.  Best of luck in your search and welcome to the vinyl club!   

If the Herron sound more like solid state phono stage then why not just buy a decent solid state phono stage? 

I've never tried Herron producsts, i believe they are great, but there must be equal or even better solid state phono stages. Do you believe? 

@chakster How can you pass blind judgement against a unit you've never heard?  Why are you so quick to pass negative judgement on Herron gear?

I have never heard anything as good as a Herron VTPH-2a nor have I heard an equal.  Tube, solid state, hybrid.  I can't claim to have heard the same 17,926 phono stages Raul claims, but I have heard quite a few.  Herron tops what I've heard.