Aftermarket Fuses

Can I set the ground rules up front?? I hope so. There are two camps. One who can hear different audible reproduction using aftermarket fuses. The second camp can not justify in theory, or can not hear a difference in fuses. Fine. I respect both camps. Can we hold this discussion to those who can hear an audible difference in fuses?? Can we? If so, what is your choice in aftermarket fuses and describe, please, what you hear.
imgoodwithtools
On wolf_garcia, shadrone, slaw and a few other naysayers ...

They remind me of my brother. He's one of the biggest skeptics on the planet. Its a personality type where their biggest fear is being taken advantage of.

To them, everything is either a conspiracy, a scam, or something else nefariously designed to cheat them out of their hard earned money. They suspect everyone, including their doctors, their real estate agents, and anyone who pats them on the back. They have the persona of a "Mr. Full Charge." If they're not in control of a given situation, they feel out of control. 

Where most people have to like you before they trust you, these folks have to trust you before they like you. The biggest mistake a salesperson can make with these people is to try to glad-hand them. If you do, their first thought is ... "What is this guy trying to get out of me?"  you can see it almost immediately. Their eyes narrow, they cross their arms and legs and frown like frowns are going to leave the planet.

The best approach is to just let them be in charge ... let them lead. Let them think that everything is their idea. Let them tell you what's needed. If you tell them, they think you're lying. If they tell you, they know that THEY don't lie ... so all is okay. 

They make great cops ... and I'm not dissing cops here either. I have a LEO for a son in law, and my brother is a retired California Highway Patrolman. Both great guys. Both have a jaundiced eye and both can scope out the suspicious among us in a nano-second. Hell to deal with if you're a salesman or a proprietor of a business of any type though. To them, everyone is lying. Everything is a scam. Nothing is worth the asking price ... and you are not going to tell them jack ... they will tell YOU. 

They miss out on a lot of joy in life because of their suspicious nature. Sometimes, you just have to trust the other guy and believe that most people are honest and upright ... until they prove themselves otherwise.

Frank
oregonpapa ...

Yes. I have found that if a system gets well-recorded piano and a woman's voice right, pretty much anything else is on point. Then get string bass right, and.. Nirvana!

I love the VTL preamp So much, that I got curious about how that might sound with a VTL amplifier. So, I now have a VTL S-400 II in house. I am presently trying to get the right combo of tubes in it. I'm close. The Lamms come within 96% of the VTL, with great bass. The VTL has adequate bass, but not enough drive for legendary Krell bass. Or Lamm bass, for that matter. But that other 4%, from the mids on up, OMG. Spectacular reproduction. I'm going to have to keep both amps.

Once I get the right tubes settled, Ill be ready to try some tweaks. Fuses, etc. Much thanks for the line on the vibration mat.

I live in Wyoming. If you ever visit Yellowstone, feel free to drop me a line.

John
^^^ Yellowstone? Wow! What a beautiful place. Lucky you ... :-)

John ... If you send me a PM with your full name and addy, I’ll send you something that will "complete" your audio system. No joke ...

I'll tell you what it is in a return PM.

Frank
ebm ...

I have 4 "gourmet" fuses here. They are all 5A Long Slow Blow to fit an Audio Research Ref. 6.

Two are Synergistic Research, Blue and Black.  I think the Black most improved the highs, which is what I was going for. But the Blue probably was best overall.

I also have an Audio Magic SHD Beezwax, and a Supreme fuse from Hi-Fi Tuning. These two are new in the box and never used.
Tipped up highs and tighter or less bass is "better" to many people with (too) big speakers in damped rooms. And those qualities are not difficult to get with an aftermarket fuse.