insurance and shipping with UPS

I recently shipped a Levinson 432 amplifier with UPS.I brought it to UPS and requested that they box it. It was insured. During transit UPS dropped the amplifier and pretty much destroyed it. I offered to pay for repairs, however the buyer had no interest in purchasing the item. UPS inspected the damaged amplifier and denied my claim, insisting  the  amplifier was not properly packaged. Corporate denied responsibility and said the issue was between myself and the UPS franchise that shipped it. I've been dealing with the franchise for a month and they are fighting with corporate in an attempt to adjudicate the issue. Meanwhile, I've repaid the buyer and have had  no relief from UPS. The UPS website clearly states that if a franchise boxed the item they are responsible. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this issue, other than hiring an attorney? UPS seems to be somewhat of a scam operation. I did not realize that all UPS offices were franchises and am wondering why anyone would ship anything of value with them.
catsally1
Talking of UPS, I am waiting for an amp to be delivered which unfortunately the seller insisted on using a local UPS store to pack and ship as they do not have oem packing for it.
This is travelling from Cali to Florida so we will see how it fares, I hope for the best but I will be covered one way or another.
Hope it does not turn into the same mess as the OP post though.
Spin4cards-
Maddening, I know. For "premium" services like Priority, Express, and COD,
the insurance is included up to a certain amount. The firm can't include big insurance automatically because the few claimants would raise rates for all.
If you've got something truly valuable, Registered is the way to go. It's not only much safer but when we're talking thousands in value, it actually costs less.

Based on the name, I presume that you're mailing mainly Baseball cards and things of that sort. Small, light, inexpensive to mail while still possiblycontaining items of considerable value. Those are going First Class which has long been the basic letter rate. Those aren't automatically insured because of the volume realized. At least that's my take. Upper Managementnever gives us any rationale as to the why of things. We get the rates and guidelines and very rarely the thought behind why they are set.

In any case, First Class being the basic rate for small items not mailed in bulk can be insured, as you note, but aren't automatically. Imagine, if you will, if all letters carried some sort of insurance. We're not talking millions of pieces in that category but billions. I used to get calls all the time about what one can do if a letter goes astray. A lot of those letters contained checks of various stripes, some quite large. While there are clumsy mechanisms in place that help us stumble through finding packages, even small ones, letter rate being both small and exceedingly numerous, poses a real problem. Should the Post Office include some sort of indemnity on the smallest, most numerous items, one could expect a deluge of claims thatwould raise rates to uncomfortable levels.

Now Officially, I don't know any of that. That's never Officially stated anywhere that I know of and I was there for over 45 years before retiring a few months ago. Common sense though leads me to those conclusions.
To oversimplify, For 50¢ what do you expect?

Realistically, there could be some sort of separation between actual letters and Small Parcels with the small parcel category including some sort of indemnity. I don't know that it's ever been proposed. Those things go through the Postal Rate Commission and we have some serious, high level intellect operating there. At the local level we're frequently puzzled with what goes on higher up the chain.

Isn't that the case with every business?

If there's something that I've neglected in my aimless ramblings here, please do ask. I've likely missed something and I'll do my best to reply.
The last time I shipped by UPS I was told insurance would only cover damage if they packed the item. If I packed, insurance only reimbursed if the the package was lost. So, contrary to several comments here, packing the item yourself is not a great solution either. I haven't shipped UPS since.
I worked for UPS for a while. I’m also a collector and seller of higher-end audio and know how to pack properly. There’s no excuse for them not to pack that amp properly. I would have double-boxed it with 2x shippers and floated it in foam peanuts. UPS has all the right materials. 

The Pack and Ship service is obligated to make good- esp. if they pack it. As a seller, you need to declare the correct replacement value and must have some proof- a sales receipt is sufficient.

The local franchise sleezed-out and I’m glad you finally got help. 

BTW- there are no limits on the value of the item they will handle- they may choose to crate an item over $1000. It’s still their responsibility.

Glad to hear that UPS finally paid the claim. Fwiw neither UPS nor Fedex Ground provides insurance per se like the OP mentioned. The Declared Value fee that they use is to determine maximum liability in case of a necessary payout in the event of theft or damage. If you wade deep into the bowels of the Fedex website you’ll find this statement in upper-case: FEDEX DOES NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE. I discovered that the hard way several years ago.

Afaik the Post Office is the only entity that actually insures what you’re shipping.  I've shipped high-end gear via our esteemed Postal Service for many years and never had to make a single claim.  But then again I double-boxed and over-packed everything to withstand a nuclear blast.