Polite Rules for discussing Audio related things

The polite rules for discussing audio:
Folks post three types of messages:      
Questions ,about audio function, method, what to buy..  
Answers to other folks questions..  
And blogging. I bought this, I did this, here is my experience                        
Allow others to say and describe what they experience and hear.   Allow then to offer reasons without arguing.   If it is a blog, stop telling them what to do! They don't want you arguing, just wanted to say I did this.
Offer POSITIVE responses. If you disagree with them, do so in a polite and friendly way.        
Offer alternatives without aggressive language.And above all, stop tit for tat aggression. Turn the other cheek dudes, turn the other cheek.
What do you think would help create a friendly happy place to discuss audio?
elizabeth
uberwaltz
Sorry Geoff there would need to be a LOT more posts here for all of your stalkers to have showed up yet......

>>>>>You got me there.
Listening to music is how I escape angst it's hard to imagine folks becoming angst-ridden discussing audio.
@jond- I think the explanation underscores how little the discussions of equipment relate (directly) to music-- it’s gear talk. And, I suppose even if one were talking about the music itself, one could find disagreement about best performances, and related minutiae- pressings, masterings, etc.
Some are here to sell their gear (think dealers) some are here to make the converstation about THEM (think geoff).

+5    2psyop

I find that in a lot of high tech, high dollar hobbies like this the gear becomes the main attraction whether it be cars, cameras, guns, you name it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that but it does seem to generate heated discussions. People self-identify with their gear. Telling someone you don't like their gear is like insulting them.

People seem to get less offended by taste in music. I couldn't care less if someone doesn't like the music I like.

And if it is all about the sound, really and truly about the sound then "I like the way my system sounds" or "switching to ceramic speaker spikes makes a world of difference to me" should end every argument.....even if the system is a Bose Wave radio or the ceramic speaker spikes are on Realistic speakers from a Radio Shack close-out.