Seeking informed advice on speaker acquisition (Vandersteen vs. OHM Walsh)

I bought a used pair of Vandersteen 2CEs about 6 months ago. They sound great to my relatively uninformed ears, but I would like to step it up. The Vandys are 25+ years old.
I have two speakers under consideration and would like input from individuals who have heard both. I am considering upgrading the Vandys to the 2CE Signature II model. I am sure the improvements in the last quarter century will greatly enhance my listening experience. The other speaker I am considering is an Ohm Walsh 2000. I have read many rave reviews on the Ohm Walsh and am seeking input from those who have heard both.

I would also like to hear from those who have heard both speakers, but have an alternative in mind. My budget cap is $3000. I prefer to buy a new pair, but I am not opposed to acquiring a used offering in great condition. I am in the Atlanta area if anyone has a used pair for sale.

My room specs are 18 x 15 with 7 foot ceilings.
System:Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II; Merrill Super12 Polytable; Oppo UDP-203; Parks Audio Hybrid Budgie phono
arturos73

@arturos73 I currently own the Vandersteen 2ce Sig II’s.

In general I like them but there are things about them that I find frustrating. I do find them at times to be somewhat lacking in detail. Example: I am a drummer, when I put on a Police record I expect to hear Stewart Copeland’s hi-hats and all of the nuances and intricate patterns he plays. With the Vandy’s these details are very difficult to hear.

Also, I don’t really enjoy listening to any recordings that aren’t hifi audio quality. Examples: Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Feetwood Mac, etc. I suppose it could be a case of garbage in/ garbage out and that the Vandy’s are accurate revealing the quality of the source material.

Also, I have found that they don’t really "come alive" unless you goose them a little bit (could be my amp/room/source?). Even with these perceived issues, I have had some amzaing listening sessions and do enjoy many aspects with the Vandy’s.

On the plus side they image like no other speakers I’ve heard! Also they have plenty of slam to them. Put on a recording like ZZ Top - La Grange and they will blow you out of your seat.

As for the Ohms. A few months ago I went to their faciltiy and had a chance to demo the Tall 1000’s. These speakers are very FUN speakers to listen to. You could put on just about ANY recording and they make them sound good. I put on Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard and heard the low din of patrons talking and glasses clinking. Also as mentioned, with their dispersion pattern and single driver, the sweet spot is literally everywhere.

On the negatve side, I found their sound rather reflective and not direct - diffuse if you will. Kind of a little bit hollow, perhaps lacking in midrange. And they definitely did not have the "slam" of the Vandys. Now in fairness, the Ohm facility is not ideally suited for critical listening. It’s essentially a warehouse. Also the amp was very low end. At times, I wonder how the Ohms would sound in my room with my gear.

Any way, I hope this helps. Good luck on your search...

@shadowcat2016, +1 for room treatment biggest bang for the buck!
@audionoobie, my 2Cs have revealed more small details since going from a SS amp to a hybrid SS/tube amp.
@tomcarr Any recommendations? My friend has Vincent separates and they sound fantastic. I would love to hear a Vincent integrated with a tube pre.
@roberjrrman
we had the DCM subs also, which were actually pretty good for thirty five years ago.....