Affordable Processor with Fabulous 2 Channel ?

Gang,

I'm using my Mytek Brooklyn DAC as a pre for music and TV. It is fabulous sounding but I really would like to have 5.1 channel surround, and a single remote! 

Is there an affordable processor (used OK) that has at least as good 2 channel performance? Emotiva is right out. I owned one, and it sounded thin as paper. I note that there are a lot of Krell processors for sale at reasonable prices. 

Thoughts?

Erik
erik_squires
Agree on all points regarding the SSP800. It’s a hi-end preamp with stereo bypass which I’m using when listening to my Aurender A10 server because I find the dacs on the A10 a bit better, but the classe’s own are fantastic and can’t be beat with the prices they are going for now, which is around $2500. I also had the Krell S1500 for a year before the Classe, and while it was great for HT, 2 ch just didn’t do it for me. Not really close TBH. It’s GUI was also very clunky.
I’m most likely gonna update to the Lyngdorf M50, room correction and Atmos, but I’m no hurry for now.
Too bad the Sigma doesn’t do Atmos, cause the Lyngdorf is 2x the price.
@btw22 

+1. Actually the GUI on the Classe SSP 800 is not any better. 
The new Sigma SSP Mk2 does Atmos & DTS-X, 4K video pass through but not HDR compatible and the new retail price now is $6k. 
The Lyngdorf MP-50 is better IMO especially for HT. I've heard that its stereo performance is very good too. I think the Lyngdorf MP-50 retails for $10k. 
@soix 

Yes I totally agree with your points. Having a good quality dedicated stereo preamp and a cheap AVR or a cheap pre pro will make more sense since the HT formats keeps on changing constantly. But not everyone would want two separate units : one stereo pre and another pre pro or AVR in their rigs maybe partly due to limited rack space or other reasons. Some would also want very good surround sound quality as well for their HT needs as well as stereo needs. Cause cheap AVR and pre pro would not sound good for HT (movies). Having the best of both worlds will cost a fortunate indeed. Having both high end expensive AV pre pro and high end stereo preamp can be very costly. And some people do not care about the latest formats and would only like conventional 5.1 or 5.2 setups. That seems to be the case with the OP (erik_squires). He does not need the latest AV formats eg Dolby Atmos, DTS-X or 4K video pass through. Our varying needs would dictate what to get. 

I'm very well aware that AV formats become obsolete pretty quick. 
And high end stereo preamps would of course sound better than high end AV pre pros in stereo. No doubt. 

I happen to have two separate setups in two different rooms : a stereo setup in my dedicated stereo listening room, and a dedicated HT room in a separate dedicated HT room. But not everyone have what I have. 

@erik_squires 

The Bryston SP3 lacks support of the latest most current formats such as Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D, 4K video pass through, etc. that's why its resale value plummets in an after market. 
The same with the Classe SSP 800. That's the main problem or drawbacks with AV pre pros or AVR that lack supports of the latest most current AV formats, their resale values will plummet quite drastically. As mentioned above that AV formats are constantly changing, evolving, etc.
Welcome to the ever changing AV world. 

@doctock993

For your needs it seems like the Classe Sigma SSP would be your best bet. It has excellent stereo performance and very good HT or multi-channels as well. Unless if you want to go different route by acquiring a separate dedicated high end stereo preamp and separate pre pro or even AVR. This would be ideal but can be more costly if you want the best of both worlds. Otherwise, the Classe Sigma SSP ($5k & $6k) will be way to go if you want a single box solution. But keep in mind that AV formats are constantly changing and evolving as stated clearly by Soix in the earlier post.

Don’t worry about the rca or single-ended outputs for center, surrounds and subwoofer channels on the Classe Sigma SSP. They are still very good single-ended designs. Unless if you’re running very long interconnects or if you have noise issues in around your home then otherwise good quality rca cables would do just fine. Try to keep all cables as short as possible and don’t skimp on cables.
But you still want to use XLR balanced cables for the front LR channels outputs on the Sigma SSP especially if your power amp is also fully balanced design.