Brooklyn DAC+ Anyone?

Hey Folks,

I did some searches and did not see anyone claiming to have the DAC+.  Saw one positive review from a site of which I am unfamiliar.  I prefer reviews where there is listening and testing so perhaps we will have to hope for Stereophile or HiFi News to get one but that will probably take some time.

I have a DAC+ on backorder with MusicDirect so hopefully any bugs will be exterminated before I get mine.  I am also hoping for more details on the circuit changes.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert
128x128robob
Does anyone with experience using the Brooklyn (+ or regular) have any benchmarks in terms of burn-in time, or how long you used it before the sonic character "settled down" and reached a steady state?

I was just wondering because I’m in the process of comparing it to a few other mid-high end DACs and only have two systems in which to use them at the present. The aim is to get as close as possible to a side-by-side A/B test using the Brooklyn DAC+, PS Audio Perfect Wave DSD, TEAC UD-503/NT-505 and a Sabre 9038 Pro.

I own the Brooklyn DAC+, the TEACs and the PS Audio DSD as well as a Chinese made DIY 9038 Pro unit with beefy power supplies and a solid chassis. The other option is an Oppo Sonica (also 9038) which my friend owns, and which I have auditioned previously (and opted to stay with the TEAC at the time), so the goal here is to get the right DAC into the right system and stop with the upgrades for a while, having spent well north of $15K on audio equipment in the first half of this year.
Mine was pretty much on song straight out of the box.  Although as I said earlier I did let it run for a while(maybe and hour?) before listening seriously.  Might have gotten a bit fuller in the mids after 20 hours or so, I don't recall for sure.  I am still very pleased with it.  Almost all my listening has been PCM, but I have run some DSD over PCM from a MacBook Pro running Audirvana and that sounds very good as well.  I have the MacBook Pro hardwired to the Internet for TIDAL and even the 44.1 TIDA HiFi sounds good.  Most TIDAL MQA is of course better.

Keep in mind it's not just the DAC chip/circuit,  these days the analog section can be the deciding factor.

Good Luck with your comparison,
Robert
Ostensible;

Im glad to see one of us including a good Chinese option,

your choice of of dac is a interesting set

jeff

robob
 OP
151 posts
02-11-2018 5:52pm
Hey Folks,

The DAC+ is doing well and is wonderful.

I am spinning vinyl through it as I write this. It sounds surprisingly good. I am not sure what caused the constricted sound the first time I tried the MC phono input (analog input set to MC Phone) but I am not hearing it now. This the second time trying it and I warmed it up with the first two sides of a recent re-release of The Koln Concert. The piano was full bodied and Keith's moans were clearly audible.

Robert:  I am deciding between the Benchmark and the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.   The quality of the Mytek phono section may be the deciding factor.  I have a high end vinyl rig with a Lyra Kleos MC cartridge.  I have had a vintage MFA preamp in my system for a while and the Mytek may get the nod over the Benchmark if the phono stage is more than decent.
The phono stage is good but does not compare to my gold note ph-10 phono stage, as well it should not when you look at prices.

i quickly went back to the ph-10 as it is much more revealing with extended soundstage, deeper bass, clearer vocals etc.

if you have a high end ish Vinyl rig I think you would be better off with a great phono stage.

just my opinions from my experience