CD player just tanked.

Brief introduction: I just recently inherited a hifi system (Audio Research LS16 pre-amp, Proceed HPA2 amp, Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers, Arcam CD92 CD player). I'm new to this audiophile stuff but am enjoying the system and learning about it.

Was listening to Dark Side of the Moon CD tonight when suddenly it sounded like the music was coming out of a can. Put in another CD, same thing. My only other source of input is iTunes via a head phone jack/RCA Y cable into the pre-amp. That sounds fine.

So I'm assuming it is the CD player but it seems like an odd sort of issue. I think this CD player is probably 15 years old but I see similar models on eBay for $300+. Wondering if it is worth trying to repair or if that is even possible. I'm also wondering if this could be a problem with the CD input 'channel' on the pre-amp. I guess I could plug the CD into the Aux input on the pre-amp and see.

Any thoughts appreciated.
n80
I'm warming to the sound of the Sony. I'm sure my ears/brain are playing tricks on me. But, if I come to the conclusion that it is really inferior then I'll do some research and shop around. I've been told that the CD player doesn't make a big difference. I don't know what the truth is.

I also made the comparison (between the Sony and the dead Arcam) right after I turned the system on and even the pre-amp owner's manual says it needs time to warm up so that could why I thought it didn't sound as good. I've been listening a couple of hours now and don't notice a big difference.
You can get a reconditioned (with full warranty) NAD player that sounds great on your budget.  I did and loved it for years till the drawer started acting up a bit.  I then compared the sound to an older OPPO DVD player (which plays SACDs) which I got for 20 bucks on Craigslist and found that the OPPO sounded every bit as good.  New or used, don't go with something too old, whatever you do--digital technology has improved over the years.
sounds like dry joints on the split supply to the audio pre amps.check they have the split supply usually 15-0-15 across the + and - on the supply rails relative to ground.If not pull the main pcb and solder up the regulators and other dry joints.check the ground on the rca out, probably off..solder anyway if you have the pcb out.some have a bottom inspection panel which makes life easy.Good luckColin Cape town
colin, I can solder and I have a tester but I am totally helpless when it comes to electricity and  probably couldn't identify or find the various parts you're talking about. I also solder like a monkey so I'd probably mess up most of the solders.

But, I sure don't have anything to lose. Either it goes in the trash or I take a peek inside.

The pcb is??? Primary control board???
There was a surround sound pre-amp and a large 5 channel amp. The amp and pre-amp are very foreign to me.

The subwoofer is powered but I could not get it to drive the speakers. No sound from speakers at all even though the subwoofer was
going. 

Let the sub power itself and don't try to power the B&Ws with 25w. The large 5 channel amp is for the speakers. The sub amp is for the sub. Use line level (RCA cable) from the preamp to the sub. 

If you MUST use speaker level inputs then there is probably a switch on the sub you need to engage to tell it to use line level or speaker level.

The manuals will be a big help getting you started with that new setup. You can just hook up preamp to the 5 channel amp with just  2 RCA cables and only run 2 channels off the amp to the speakers. You don't need to fully set everything up in 5.1 to get started. 2.0 or 2.1 should be great. Depending on the bass output in your listening room you may not even need the sub if you haven't been using one previously.

Also if you are young and without kids go racing now save your love of audio for when you can't justify racing (time/cost/risk) anymore due to having family and/or are paying for private school and college and all that other fun stuff. And then enjoy racing and audio after all that. I'm in the paying/saving stage right now and sold my track car and lifts and other toys related to the hobby as I just can't justify racing a few times a year for how much it costs and how I am putting myself at risk as well.

HTH!