Kinki Studio EX-M1 200wpc Integrated Amplifier

Winner of the ’Blue Moon Award’ from 6Moons / Srajan Ebaen

Here is the ’summary’ last page from 6Moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki/6.html

And the first page for those interested in the full review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki/1.html

215W (8 Ohms)  Inputs: 3 RCA  1 XLR  

Offered via Vinshine Audio in Singapore.

Currently SGD 2898 which equals ~ USD 2135.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdavid_ten
Nonoise, to clarify a minor point, the gain of the amp affects the position of the volume control at which the first watt occurs. But the first watt is the first watt, and will produce the same volume with a given pair of speakers whether it occurs at a 9 o’clock setting of the volume control with a high gain amp, or at a 3 o’clock setting with a low gain amp.

On the other hand, of course, the first watt of two different amps can sound considerably different.

Best regards,
-- Al
I contacted the designer, via email, about using his amp with my modified Klipsch Lascalas, ( 104 db ) and he indicated the gain switch was for situations such as this. I obviously do not need this much power, although I have had monster sized amps driving them in the past. I always prefer smaller amps ( with less signal path / less output transisters ), but the circuitry with the EX-M1 is quite minimal, considering the output of this thing. Enjoy ! MrD.
Thanks for the clarification, Al. I was under the impression that some watts were wasted if one had to crank up the volume before hearing something. 

And, mrdecibel, the designer of my now, sadly gone, Tonian Labs TL-D1 speaker was of the same mind as you. He felt that the best amps had just one pair of output transistors (one per channel) as they had the speed necessary for sounding real. As one doubled up or went further, it slowed and muddled things too much for his tastes.

All the best,
Nonoise
I was under the impression that some watts were wasted if one had to crank up the volume before hearing something.
That would be true if the combination of amp gain, preamp gain (if there is a separate preamp, although of course there wouldn’t usually be one in the case of an integrated amp such as this one), and source output voltage is insufficient to drive the amp to its maximum power capability even with the volume control at max.

That can happen in some situations, and in fact I’ve been discussing just such a situation in a recent thread which involved the possibility of using a Herron phono stage to drive a certain power amp via a passive preamp which provides no gain.  But that would be a fairly unusual set of circumstances.

Best regards,
-- Al
I wonder how does this amp competes against the Hegel Separates (P20 & H20), i have been considering reducing items and go for a super Integrated instead

Has anyone made any more comparos with other brands like Hegel, Devialet, Bryston, Pass, T+A (the ones around $10,000)

Best regards