The Absolute Sound vs Stereophile

I love both mags. Definitely preferred Stereophile while R Harley was there.
I think he’s doing great at AS.
Still I miss his measurements 
and, at the same time, how AS fit in my pocket.

dancekerl
Stereophile: Love all those full-page ads for cables! Gotta have 'em to keep the "True Believers" happy!
I read TAS when I need a fix, but I just think that they are tanked. Stereophile seems to be comfortable with who they are, and I really enjoy Herb Riechert and Art Dudley, and to a slightly lesser degree, Jason Victor Serinus. Their show reports are better as well. Some may consider Herb's writing a bit artsy, but that's what I like about it. He delves more deeply into his emotional reactions. I find it entertaining, and that's what it's about.
I also find myself in agreement with Art's taste in gear, although I understand why he thinks that spikes under speakers are unimportant. 
Stereophile for choice.  They do measurements which gives them more weight.  Actually I can't be bothered with mags that do not.  Hi-Choice and Hi-News also in the higher league.  Also enjoy Stereo from Germany.
I enjoy Fremer's madness, Dudley's meanderings.  Miss Marks though.
Stereophile all day, every day.  At least Art and Herb and Fremer have good (diverse) taste in music.  Sorry folks but if you want to grow the hobby, the mags need to migrate away from reviewers who play nothing but classical and vocal, and gear designed to play the same. 

I subscribed to TAS for a year and got the vibe their next lukewarm review would be their first.  
Sterophile for sure, although I also subscribe to TAS.  Recently  decided it takes too much space to store both mags, so I've been selectively re-reading and then discarding older issues of TAS.  Oddly enough, I never much liked EITHER Pearson or Holt as writers or as "gurus" and can't remember ever buying anything that either one raved about. I once had lunch with Tony Cordesman and especially enjoy both Dudley and Reichart.