Recommendations for CDP < $300

I'm new to hifi. Not really an audiophile yet. Inherited a nice older system but the Arcam CD92 player just died. 

I'm currently using an old low end Sony but it really belongs to a basic low end system down at my cabin. I have a couple of books on top of it and sorbothane pads under the feet and I'm okay with the SQ. But, it needs to go back down to my cabin.

Looking at used CD players on eBay, prices are all over the place and I'm a little leery of buying a used low end player which may have been mishandled etc. And even some with low prices have shipping rates that make even the cheap ones not worth the bother.

So now I'm looking at a new one. Prefer sub $300. There are three I'm looking at: Onkyo C-7030 for $200. NAD C538 for $300. It sounds like these two have the same Wolfson DAC. Not sure why the NAD is $100. I've pretty much ruled out a Cambridge CD-10 at $300 because it does not have gap-less play back. I don't listen to a ton of classical but I do some and pauses between classical arrangements would be a deal breaker.

I have noticed that some reviews are claiming newer CDPs sound much better than older CDPs due to improved technology. Not sure if this is true or not. Any reason to prefer new to historically good older models?

Anyway, besides the Onkyo and the NAD are there other sub $300 units I should look at? Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks,
George
n80
Thanks for that explanation. Now I'm wondering if I should see how much it would take to repair the Arcam. I have found a high end audio repair shop in my area. It might be worth the $40 service charge to see what it would take to fix it. (Nothing comes out via the RCA outputs but it does have output through the optical port.).
I think those old arcam 92's and alpha 9's used the ring dacs which would be an expensive fix if that went out. I hzvd seen the alpha 9 going for about $300 and it't about 18 - 19 years old ?
I have an onkyo c-s5vl, I  always enjoyed  wolfson dacs. The c-s5vl played sacd and I don't think onkyo makes a player anymore that will play those so if you don't need sacd I would think the 7030 would be a good player , never had a problem with mine, knock on wood. 
I noticed that the Onkyo weighs like 12 pounds....which sounds sturdy, for what that's worth.