Recommendations for CDP < $300

I'm new to hifi. Not really an audiophile yet. Inherited a nice older system but the Arcam CD92 player just died. 

I'm currently using an old low end Sony but it really belongs to a basic low end system down at my cabin. I have a couple of books on top of it and sorbothane pads under the feet and I'm okay with the SQ. But, it needs to go back down to my cabin.

Looking at used CD players on eBay, prices are all over the place and I'm a little leery of buying a used low end player which may have been mishandled etc. And even some with low prices have shipping rates that make even the cheap ones not worth the bother.

So now I'm looking at a new one. Prefer sub $300. There are three I'm looking at: Onkyo C-7030 for $200. NAD C538 for $300. It sounds like these two have the same Wolfson DAC. Not sure why the NAD is $100. I've pretty much ruled out a Cambridge CD-10 at $300 because it does not have gap-less play back. I don't listen to a ton of classical but I do some and pauses between classical arrangements would be a deal breaker.

I have noticed that some reviews are claiming newer CDPs sound much better than older CDPs due to improved technology. Not sure if this is true or not. Any reason to prefer new to historically good older models?

Anyway, besides the Onkyo and the NAD are there other sub $300 units I should look at? Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks,
George
n80
I own an Arcam CD 73 that needs it’s laser assembly replaced for the second time, I’m guessing. Fwiw.
Yamaha cd-c600 is a 5 disc carousel has digital output and analog. I've got one in works great. Should be in your price range good luck.
I'm sure you will get plenty of good suggestions here for a new CD player. I can only relate my experience with NAD. The C358 (if you've auditioned it) would probably meet your performance expectations. I bought the C546 and have been satisfied with the purchase. NAD changed model number designations not long ago but, as far as I can tell, the new model numbers coincide with the older ones when it comes to features and performance.I have a local NAD dealer and was able to audition several CD players. The C358 you are interested in probably has close performance to the C546 I have which is maybe $200 more than the C358. However, the C546 has USB input for use from a flash drive or a computer. That's the main reason I went with that model. But, if just listening to CD's is all you need then the C358 would be a good choice. I have had no reliability issues with the NAD. Good luck with your search.
That brings up a question. For these newer CDPs with USB ports does that mean you can use it as a DAC and if so would the DAC on these lower end models be any worse than, say, a basic Schiit Modi 2?

On the Yamaha it says primarily for iPhone, iPads, iPods. Is there any reason a laptop wouldn't work?
I recently got the Onkyo 7030 from Newegg for $170.
It's a nice simple single player.
Sounds good enough for now, and especially for the $.