SOTA vs VPI (or stick with my Rega?)

I currently have a Rega Planar 3 (2016) with a Dynavector 10x5 that suits me and my record collection (mostly reggae, afrobeat, and jazz) but have been thinking about a turntable upgrade as my vinyl collection continues to expand.

Initially, I considered just a simple Groovetracer subplatter and upgraded counterweight, but am not sure if that is worthwhile. So now I've expanded the search to include a used SOTA Sapphire V or used VPI Prime/VPI Classic. I like the Rega's "PRAT" and no-nonsense design, but would be interested in getting more detail and cleaner, deeper bass out of my vinyl.

Any suggestions/advice/thoughts and alternatives welcome. THANKS!
For reference, my system consists of a Hegel H-160, Vandersteen Treos (non CT), Rega Planar 3, LFD Phonostage LE, and Dynavector 10x5. 
gritter2
@gritter2
It’s always very hard to separate a table’s sound from the arm, cartridge and phono stage combination. But I’ve used the SOTA over 10 years, with several various cartridges and stages. The FR64fx arm has been a constant, though. The Origin arm has rigid bearings too, which I feel is important.

With my Star/Nova deck, it’s never been hard to achieve a gorgeous analog sound that makes you feel like throwing away all your digital gear & music. If I had to assign a sonic influence to this deck, I’d say that it would be a little on the side of rich, voluptuous, romantic. You will get very robust bass and dynamics out of this. It will lean more towards "organic" and "PRaT" oriented, rather than techno-analytical. Yet it certainly doesn’t have a strong coloration, since I’ve had various Benzes, Koetsus, and Ortofons on this deck, each with their own distinct character shining through.

The only minor sonic issue I ever ran into was with an Ortofon Winfeld MC, that had a bit of searing treble - which was probably due to interaction with the heavy tonearm and my speakers at the time, more than anything else. The Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Kontrapunkt "c" and Koetsu stones have all sounded outright "magical" on this deck, with proper supporting gear. The various Benzes (Glider L2, Wood M2, Ref 3 Wood) have also sounded quite excellent.

I also love my ClearAudio Master Innovation (I previously also had the regular Innovation Wood), but you have to work so much harder to isolate those decks. And so much more $. Sonically, they’re also more on the technical side of analog reproduction. And it’s extremely impressive & enjoyable too, once you get it all right - but the SOTA has a more traditional analog sound.
IMHO, since you like the PRAT of the Rega, stay with that or a Linn LP12.

Though quite fine turntables you will not get that from SOTA or VPI. This based on having owned, and listened to, many VPIs and still owning an SOTA sapphire.
@mulveling thanks for your in-depth response. It is very helpful and much appreciated. All that you mention about the SOTA is what I am looking for in a TT. I am not interested in analytical listening, and do not shy away from the warmth of vinyl as my SS amp is incredibly neutral and they seem to balance each other out nicely. 

@viridian thanks for your feedback as well. I am interested, what about the SOTA Sapphire do you like, personally? I think it’s telling that you still own one.
Oh, the SOTA has a nice solidity to the sound with good body and saturation. It’s more like an idler in that sense, only quieter and more serene, with less punch. My LP12s have better PRAT, as did the Regas that I’ve owned in the past.

The SOTA is, pretty much set and forget which is another blessing. they were originally voiced with the later SME arms, so those are a good choice. I use a Well Tempered, which seems to be a good match as well.
@viridian The Rega has better PRAT than the VPI? I hadn’t heard that before. Very interesting.

Can you elaborate more? (Not hating, I am in the market and listen to punk and faster music so PRAT is important to me).