Monitor Audio Pl 300ii vs. KEF Reference 5

I own the KEF Reference 5s.  I borrowed the Monitor Audio Pl300 ii speakers for comparison, which is still under way.  Thoughts so far:  Both are good speakers.  The KEFs provide a lot of detail.  Listening to classical music, you can hear orchestral instruments and sections pretty clearly.  Background and counter melodies can be identified. Piano music is very realistic.  The MAs do not provide as much instrumental detail but they do have a more mellow, deeper, broader sound.  Which is better is really a matter of personal choice.  As I said, I’m still listening so these are some quick preliminary reactions.  More later.  
fast
No I am not a robot. But....... we use very high tech tools of over 7000 dollar when we install audio. Most people in audio still think it is 1980. And we work at 0.25 millimeter precision.

I think we life in a different world and are far ahead of what we call the limited trial and error world. I also call it the 1980 audio world. Because many still do audio at the same way as we did in 1980. But there are so much better tools and options to create a superior level these days

People have no idea how extreme they limit themselves by trial and error audio. The other problem is the lack in knowledge and insight regarding the acoustics, smog, magnetism and high frequent noise. Trial and error will only give you access to a very limited part of each individual component in your system.

That is why money will never solve it. The biggest problem in audio is the lack in insight and knowledge. Trial and error proofs how ineffective audio is being done. And it also proofs that people have no idea about the human emotion and also not about the properties of sound.

This proofs that they do not understand sound. But when you want to understand audio you need to understand the properties of sound first. Like you need to understand the acoustics and other parts like smog, magnetism and high frequent noise who all negatively influences the sound and stage.

Audio is done by random order and people have no real foundation. This is the main reason why most systems are not that good. Because they are not able to create a lot of emotion during listening. This is caused by the lack of properties of sound which are missing. When you add these properties which are missing, you see how different the same people react to the same music.

They all have no F. idea what sound is and which properties they use. It is pure gambling. This is audio done at the level of a child. Based on the fact that they have no idea what they do. Children have a lot less experience compared to adults and they will face many situations for the first time where they have no idea why it is as it is.

This counts for audio as well. They all have no idea why the sound and stage of their system is what they hear. This is needed to have any idea why you are hearing the sound and stage as it is. Trial and error will never make you understand your system. It will be a gambling system untill you die. And yess I understand that this is not the thing you would like to hear. But this is the truth and you need to learn to look further.....

You only can understand things you do not know when you do it differently. Trial and error will never give you any idea what the F. you are doing. This is a fact and I talked about this with many people in audio for many times. They all agreed that they do audio by gambling.

This means that they never thought about how to guide and understand audio and music. The 3th of july 1998 I had a mindset and I wanted to know why each loudspeaker is sounding so different than another does. I spend thousands of hours and tests to learn to think in properties of sound.

And you know why? Because I was aware that this is the only way to understand audio. But is looks like the whole world has been sleeping in the last 20 years. And the facts proof over and over again that they all do audio by trial and error. To be honest this is audio at the level of a child.

I confronted many people in audio with this phrase. And the most silly thing is that they all agreed that it lacks any kind of real foundation. That is why I ask it again..........

Tell me how you found your decisions regarding the choices how you select and create your audiosystem?
The PL-300 II is in a Tru-Fi world where it reveals all the details and different properties of sound a superior loudspeaker to the Kef Reference. But.......in a trial and error system there are different rules and a totally different outcome.

You only will have an idea what the PL-300 II is capable of when you created an audiosystem what can reveal all the different properties of sound. And that the system is fully adapted regarding the acoustics, smog, magnetism and high frequent noise.

The truth is that the PL-300 II is demoed in a trial and error system. This will never give you an idea what the PL-300 II can offer in a Tru-Fi world. What you all hear is your truth. And this is what you all believe in.

But your truth is being formed by the systems you auditioned. This makes you think what the quality is of the product. Let me say this. When you listen to the same loudspeakers in a Tru-Fi world the truth has become totally different.

It is not even comparable with any limited trial and error system. You enter a new world you even don’t even know it exist. Because your truth is the trial and error world. This is a world without understanding the properties of sound and all the different parts who negativly influences both sound and stage.

Sound is being formed by different properties. When an audiosystem can reveal all the different properties of sound it will create a more intense and emotional feeling than when you use an audiosystem that lacks different properties.

A client of mine owns the B&W804D3. I explained him that it can only build one meter in stage depth. He uses Accuphase what in all tests we did also showed that it can build about 1 meter of stage depth. This is what we call a hifi stereo parameter. The Platinum loudspeakers are able to create 5-7 meters of stage depth.

This is what you want and need in any highend system. When you are not able to create a huge deep and wide stage you are not even allowed to use the word highend. Based on the fact that humans can hear sound in a 3-dimensional spectrum. I think that a stunning holographic 3D stage makes listening to music so much more addictive and intense.

In 9 years of time I brought many people from a 2D system to a 3D system. And they all react the same way. They use their system so much more. And I gave them other properties of sound they also did not own

This new client bought a Lumin D2 with our Pro modification about 6 weeks ago. I did send him to a shop to audition both his loudspeaker and the PL-200 II. I wanted to make clear that the PL-200 II in a trial and error system is so much different than in a Tru-Fi world.

The system did not have any level in depth he said during the demo of both B&W804D3 and PL-200 II. He was rather dissapointed in both demoes. The day after I did send him to a client who lives not that far away from him. He owns a PL-200 II set in a Tru-Fi system with a Lumin and Pro modification.

This client is a musician in a band and plays and owns many acoustic and electric guitars. He is more serious into audio for about 5 years of time. And he visits shows and also visited different audioshops in the last 5 years of time.

He wrote me a nice story about his experiences during the PL-200 II and the Tru-Fi system. Later that day he phoned me as well. It was the best system he ever auditioned. He said; in a few seconds you already know that this is a different world.

He was stunned that the same PL-200 II had become a totally different loudspeaker than the day before in the audioshop. He was amazed how much better this loudspeaker was compared to his B&W 804D3. For the first time he could hear diversity in height. And mann this make a huge difference in how the music effects you. He could hear so much more details and information of his own music.

When he will have used his new Tru-Fi system and the PL-200 II he will write a review about his experiences. I will send the link overhere. He never experienced music this palpable and diverse in sound. It made his music so much more attractive he said. That same day he bought the PL-200 II and a Tru-Fi system.

He understood directly what audio does to your emotion and feelings when your music is being played by all the different properties of sound. You only can create an audiosystem what is able to reveal all the different properties of sound when each part in that system owns all the different properties of sound.

Because most brands and products cannot reveal all these different properties of sound. We only use and sell products who can reveal all the different properties of sound. This way we can outperform any other competitor easily. Each person wants the most intense and emotional system. Based on the fact that our emotion works this way.

The Reference 5 display speakers here benefit greatly from the Belden Iconoclast speaker cables, more than most other speakers. The cables open up the top end and extend and define the deep bass. This sounds like a narrow recommendation but it nails it. Otherwise the Ref5s can be a little soft on top. The MA 200 IIs are in the same room here. I agree the sound with them is denser in a good way, but they don’t sound dark on top. 
At Home you have got to be kidding, Kef Reference soft on top?

They are rated to 45k high freuency response, they are anything other than soft. 

What are you running yours with to come up with your feeling that they sound soft?

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ