Time to weed the LPs.... (choosing stuff to dump)

I am in the process (again, every few years) of weeding the Rock LPs. Going through newer stuff to decide to sell to my fav. record store, or keep.
I do this every few years to thin out the collection gradually. Eight years ago I did a major cull removing 6,000 LPs of 12,000 to move. Over the last six years I have cut that down to 4,500 (and probably buying 500 of those during that time).For all sorts of reasons it is a good project. Get rid of cobweb covered music I have no use for, (and maybe someone else wants) Frees up a small amount of cash to waste on more Stereo junk.The main thing is the collection gets better, more just what I really like.Anyone else clear out the junk now and then?(For the question already forming... and no I will not sell them here. I have bought tons of stuff at my fav. record store, I like them, and sell all my records to them.  LOL)
elizabeth
Pruning the collection is only good if you can bite the buying beast in the butt and stop making choices that will inevitably end up in the discard pile.People love to buy records for the sake of buying records and i can add myself to that category.I am still cleaning,listening,keeping and discarding records i bought ten years ago,but the stacks are getting slimmer and the losers will find their way to the various libraries that will sell them and fortify the declining funds of those institutions.   Oh yeah,don't sell them on this site! It is already riddled with garbage being sold at unreasonable prices and cluttering the "browse" section.Everybody that pays the big bucks to sell the gears gets immediately eclipsed by tons of listings for garage sale crap records at delusional prices.This has got to stop and it is choking this site.    Let's celebrate the advantage of a large collection and the boundless choices of music we love,scored over the years from private collections,stores long since closed and the oddball swap meet or garage sale find.It is something the download or streaming collective mentality can never understand or embrace-the divinity of the vinyl record.
My wished for rarity to own but do not, would be a 'white label' promo "Kind of Blue". Miles Davis.Currently I own equal piles of Classical, Jazz, and Rock. Great collection of Jazz, all the best recordings.., pretty good collection of Rock, and an average pile of Classical.I need to clear up the Classical, but am too lazy. I did a big clearance last time. and just do not want to bother with the Classical at this time.(it is very hard to find specific Classical recordings without spending big bucks. Random acquisition is OK, but not to build a killer collection. Jazz was way easier to build a great collection.(I never paid any attention to Jazz, until the mid 90's, SO I just collected all the five star, and am leaning about it.) Rock is easier but generally I just keep what I like.
Well Elizabeth,that must be one special music store.I mean you sold them thousands of lps.They Never buy back at more than a few dollars at most.Unless you have Beatles in wrapped and Mint condition ,First issues.I have sold off my collection a few years ago.2,000 albums only got about $2700 back...years ago we were told to take the plastic off the albums .So i did.But i cleaned my albums and treated every album like gold lol.We cds came out at first i didnt buy them .Then i got a great Onkyo top of line cd player sent well over $700 in like 1990.i have bought back about 500 alot of first issues and imports mostly Rock.i do have like 500 classical,jazz and soundtracks plus 3000 cds ,alot of box sets they are cheat now...but prices are going up and 500 cassettes and R to Reels.So it was good to weed out ...now, I have to weed out some of my Stereo equipment n speakers which are taking over big time.But there are people on this site and you want top dollar for the Carpenters Lps.....come on people.
Yeah when I was hard-up I used to do the same. Seems like "Dark Side of the Moon", "Eat a Peach" and "Frampton Comes Alive" double albums ALWAYS had some shake....wait, what were we talking about??