The most fun you can have in audio is DIYing your own speakers

You don't have to make the best speakers on earth, or most expensive, and you don't have to become an expert in the tech, but in all my years in audio, I have to say DIY is the most fun and educational. For me, speaker building was a lot more fun than electronics (amps, pre's etc.) 

Lots of great sources for complete kits as well as paper-only designs. Speaker building is also a great thing to do with your kids. I highly recommend it.

Best,

Erik
erik_squires

Those big commercial markups also make it intriguing to modify off-the-shelf commercial speakers, particularly low- to mid-priced models where there is less concern about resale value. Such models are often well-designed, but built to cost with striking compromises in the quality of piece parts. Some projects can be done on a tabletop with basic tools and a little research.

I recently reworked a pair of two-way Jamo E800 bookshelf speakers that originally retailed for around $700 and retain negligible resale value. Solid birch-ply cabinets, good SEAS drivers, a well designed second-order crossover with decent inductors, but compromised by inferior generic electrolytic and poly capacitors, generic cast resistors, a passion-killer thermistor in series with the tweeter, el-cheapo thin copper wiring, tinned-zinc PCB traces, and junk binding posts. Replaced the caps with ClarityCap CMR and CSA wired point to point, replaced the resistors with Caddock MP930s, the wires with DIY heavy gauge silver, and the binding posts. All for about $150 plus six hours, producing a massive improvement in performance.

Then got to thinking about the instability of the molded plastic baskets and spiders on the 5 1/4" mid/woofer. Reinforced those with a thick layer of epoxy paste impregnated with brass dust. (+$30)

Now they are more Raidho than Jamo. Serious fun for short money.

Great work - rewarding - and better sound ! It's lot's of fun and satisfying to learn what you can do to improve a product.

David Pritchard
@dgarretson - Yeah, it is financially very difficult for most vendors to justify spending good money on crossover parts. 

One of the worst offenders is Focal, which only uses Solen's cheapest caps. So much better even with cheap Mundorf MKPs

@erik_squires

Also, the marketing emphasis of most high-end manufacturers is almost always on cabinets and drivers, maybe because these are the visible parts.

BTW the epoxy/brass reinforcement brought out a huge improvement in bass definition, overall coherence, and spatial cues that one customarily encounters only in high echelon speakers. I’d be tempted to try this on any driver with a plastic basket-- such as Monitor Audio.

@dgarretson Yes, it would, since the top end MA line measures spectacularly in both the time and frequency domains.