Sub DIY vs mass produced?

Is there anything that makes a mass produced sub better then something I could make myself? I want to add a pair of subs to my ht room & I would like to go with pair of 12's. I have a extra adcom gfa-5500 that I was going to use to power the speakers & possibly buy another gfa-5500. I was planning on using Image Dynamics IDQ12's for the speakers in a 4cu ft box tuned to about 20hz (that's what someone suggested I do).

IS there a reason a store bought mass produced sub would work better like a velodyne, JL or whatever?????

thanks
128x128viggen900
I am going to try a paradigm x-30 for now. I was told to get a outlaw x-over (icbm1 or something like that) but I couldn't find one. So I am going to try the paradim x-over & I will see how it works.

& yea, mostly HT.... but if I can get it to blend properly for music I would use it along with my infinity kappa 8.1 vII's. So I want it to be very musical....

My girlfriend is actually moving in & we are combining our stereo's. Her receiver is about 8years newer then mine (I have a old Denon AVR-3000 & she has a yamaha something.... made is 1999 I beleive) & has sub volume controlls. She has 2 mirage 8 in powered subs & I think they sound horrible... boomy & no low end. I do plan on updating the receiver to something new withing a year or so (I want a processor but time will tell).... when that happends I might try to find one with a internal x-over but I am a ways from that.
Damn, Shadorne, this one FINE woof woof. 80 lbs. - whoa! $1800, WHOA! Looks like it's worth it, though...

Viggen, whne you get ready to replace that receiver, go take a look at the Emotiva UMC-1 or XMC-1 pre-processors. Killer units for not much money. And their matching amps, XPA-5, UPA-7, etc. are quite the bargain, too. You could put together a smokin' surround sound system (electronics only) for right around $1200 - $1800.

Good luck!

-RW-
yea... those sub specs were definantly impressive!!!! But it better be for what they are charging.... OUCH :)

I will try to remember emotiva... I was considering sunfire (read lots of great stuff about them) & a few others..... probably used.
If the receiver has a subwoofer output (RCA out) then you already have a built-in crossover and don't to need to buy another -- unless you are not satisfied with the sound quality, and want to move up to a newer preamp-processor. Anything (receiver or pre-pro) with a dedicated subwoofer output will have a subwoofer level adjustment among the volume controls, so you don't need that feature in the sub itself, nor do you need to buy a separate crossover.

www.diyaudio.com has a whole section devoted to DIY subwoofers. I would not spend megabucks on an 80 pound driver -- those are mainly just for bragging rights, or subwoofer envy if you will.

I bought a "New Larger Subwoofer" kit from www.vmpsaudio.com and have been very happy with it. I don't know if they still sell them as kits or not. It has a 12 inch driver, a 15 inch driver, and a 15 inch passive radiator in one big cabinet, which I disguised as a pedestal for a sculpture. You could also disguise it as a coffee table. My only complaint is that the subwoofer causes nearby plastic objects like my computer tower to rattle loudly during heavy sound effects, which is not the subwoofer's fault. I power my subwoofer with an Adcom GFA-555, the predecessor of the 5500. It works great.

Have fun and give us a followup.
hmmm... I assumed her receiver didn't have one & that the sub itself had the x-over. I beleive her receiver does have rca outputs... but I will need to go look I guess... thanks!

I definantly cannot swing that for a sub... let alone the amp to power it :) The subs I am looking at are under $300 ea, just trying to make sure the box size I was told is correct. I will check out DIYaudio....