Help with kef r900 issue

I bought a pair of kef r900 speakers from kefdirect in April 2018. I enjoy them most of the time, but with some vocals, e.g., Alan Jackson, Allison Krauss and Mary Chaplin Carpenter, at nearly any level, they sometimes make a ripping, tearing or distorted sound that is hard to describe. Initially, I used a McIntosh MC202 with 200 rms, and now a Rotel RB 1590, with identical results. Initially, I used a very old Transparent Musiclink cable and now a Transparent Plus, again with identical results. I’m about to dump these unless I can figure it out since KEF has no one in the NW to repair them and they advise against paying to ship them (I agree). Before I write them off as a bad bargain, theories are solicited! Thanks
128x128maritime51
Hey, doc, can you write a script for idiopathic distortion?  🏦🏨😩
Maritime, I can assure you there are 0 design defects with the current Kef R series, 

Please remember Kef is a very large company with extensive engineering resources, you may or may not like their sound but they do not design products which have eggregious flaws. 

Any company which has the engineering talent and testing and fabrication resources of a $100 million dollars plus a year company is going to make a pretty good product.

If you are having problems with the speakers it could be a bad crossover part perhaps or it could be something else with your chain. 

Perhaps the raspy quality is in the recording? 

It also might mean the clarity and voicing of the R 900 is not to your taste.

The R series is a very clean uncolored sound, you may prefer a less resolving loudspeaker.

This is why we sell mutlitple brands of loudpeakers and why we suggest buying from a dealer is always the better way to go.

Dave and  Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Hey doc, I love the sound. Read closer: it manifests on other recordings.

Sum: they sound great until....

impeaching me begs the question, and the net worth test does, too. 

Thanks for your comments. 
I should reiterate that the condition was first discovered with a McIntosh C15/MC202 combination and persisted unchanged with the Rotel RC 1590 and RB 1590.

Lastly, I’d like to thank everyone for trying to help. While the cause and origin may remain a mystery, I can’t live with it. In any event, I otherwise love the sound of the R900 and believe that KEF designs and manufactures great products. But, as with all manufacturers, things can happen....

The Doc is right: there is inherent risk in buying direct, and if you can accept that, it is fine.
Hey OP, I hope you are able to figure out a solution that doesn't involve the nearest dumpster, and am delighted to read you used the word "idiopathic".

Tom