Small or large sub for music

I've been using a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s to supplement KEF LS50s below 50 Hz, but I read that larger subs are better for music because the cone needs excursion.  Is there any truth to this?  I have a pair of HGS-15s that I could use to supplement the LS50s or Reference 1s (below 40 Hz) if I go there.  The HGS-15s do HT superbly.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
I have a “full” range speakers supported by 2 JL212 subs. The subs Integrated with the main speakers so well that now I cannot listen to the system without the subs. The quality of the subs is very critical. 
When I first purchased my Wilson Max II’s and was talking about adding a new sub, someone on this forum laughed asking why I would even want a sub, using the Wilsons.  I purchased one JL Fathom 113 and it was great.  I then added a second one, placed in the opposite corner diagonally facing each other and it really smoothed out the response.  I use a DBX subharmonic sythesizer, along with a Sony  TA-E2000ESD, as a separate remote volume control.  The Sony has a parametric eq that I filter down the 50-60 hz frequencies and turn my crossover point on the subs, as low as it will go. I come out of my line stage’s tape monitor output, so I can isolate the bass.  Because the Sony has a motorized dial volume, I can pretty much tell, where to set it on the clock dial.  When I turn my main speakers off, just to hear the bass level, most of the time the bass is at a fairly low level and is not overpowering.  I get an almost seamless contribution from my subs.  I can also turn my subs off, to hear what it sounds like, without the subs.  The difference is almost always very subtle, but can hear a definite improvement with the subs.  I built some hefty stands, 18” tall with metal castors, so I can easily roll them around the room, to establish the best position. I think the trick, is to set your sub volume, as to not make them shake the room.  They’re like a quartet, each contributing, but none overpowering the other. They definitely have their place in my system.  
Since you have both why not just try them both and use the one you like the best?
There are no speakers currently manufactured that " need " subs. If a person wants to add a little more foundation to the music they may choose to add a sub or two or one might suppose a swarm of subs. 
I'm using a single small REL t5si sub with my Harbeth P3esr speakers.  I moved it around the floor until I got a good sound.  Running the speakers full range and I keep the crossover on the sub set fairly low.  The sub volume is also very low.  It's a subtle difference, but the arrangement creates a bit more body in the bass.  The speakers are actually fine without the sub.

I use a different system for Home Theater, with a noisier subwoofer.