Any one try the new Synergistic Research BLUE UEF Duplex receptacle?

Looking for comparsons to other high quality outlets.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xlak
First....... I am a believer that an electrical outlet can have an impact on the sound of an audio system.

Take a good look at the two outlets in the two Links below. Not the Blue, but the Black. I would be willing to bet the Blue is also a P&S outlet as well.

https://highend-electronics.com/products/synergistic-research-black-uef-duplex-receptacle

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-TR5362WCC12-Receptacle-Resistant-125-volt/dp/B0052EDREA?th=1

Are they the same? Sure look the same to me.

For those of you that have the Synergistic Research Black or Blue UEF outlet the mounting back strap of the outlet sure looks like it is made of galvanized steel. That’s not good, is it? Have a magnet? Check it out. Is the magnet attracted to the back strap?

While you are at it check the screw terminals on each side of the outlet with the magnet. Are they also made of steel?

Speaking of duplex screws.. Anyone else notice if using stranded wire to the Duplex wire straight in, not to a lug, it will always loosen up after install. 100% gets looser and needs to be retightened after a month or so. Solid core not so much. Just sayin'.
elizabeth
5,197 posts                                                                   08-24-2018 9:33am

Speaking of duplex screws.. Anyone else notice if using stranded wire to the Duplex wire straight in, not to a lug, it will always loosen up after install. 100% gets looser and needs to be retightened after a month or so. Solid core not so much. Just sayin’.

Best practices for terminating stranded wire to an electrical receptacle outlet is to use a receptacle with a terminal plate to hold the stranded wire in place.

When using solid wire the wire should be curled around the terminal screw in a clockwise motion. This type of wire termination will give the best solid termination of the solid wire to the terminal screw and the receptacle.

Though the receptacle is Listed to use the wire terminal plate to terminate both stranded as well as solid wire it does not hold the solid wire tight in place. Just moving the receptacle around after terminating the solid wire so as to install and push the receptacle into the outlet box will loosen the wire connection. I would suggest if you must use the terminal plate for solid wire work the wire and receptacle into place in the wall electrical box. Then pull the receptacle out of the box just enough to expose the side terminal screws and retighten them again.
Just installed my Blue duplex and glad I did as the old duplex had very loose wire connections on it, could not have been helping and quite possibly a fire hazard as it was.

Now I have solid wire too and yes it is a bear to get the Blue to tighten down on it securely, I redid it three times before happy but I am definitely going to pull it out and recheck in a month or so too.