Tube Pre-Amp, vs Solid State with Tone Controls/EQ to take edge off the top end?

Ok,

Really dig my current speaker set-up, they do 90% of what I want at a reasonable price.   (leaving brand out of here so as to not go off track).  

Using a Pass Labs 250.8, and really like it.  Trading out for a lower priced amp immediately gave me a smaller soundstage.  I believe Nelson voices his amps to have a bit of tube like sound but while keeping a solid low end.

Using a Pass XP-12 pre-amp, it's a great piece.  Does what it does really well.

But... I'd like to ever so slightly de-tune the top end on my speaker.  Just take it down a slight bit (usually only when above 90db).

Thoughts on trying a pre-amp with tone controls or an EQ, vs a tube pre-amp? (or a big integrated amp even)

Just looking for others thoughts. Thanks.

dep14
+1 for Mac preamps with tone controls.....
get Jim Smiths very excellent book, check your setup......
I have a Luxman CL38U-SE. It has quite a few functions to tweek your sound. There is a low frequency switch that allows you to select frequencies from 150, 300 and 600hz. High frequency switch where you can select frequencies from 1.5, 3 and 6kz. The preamp also has old fashioned bass and treble controls. I use a Bryston 2.5 SST2 amp. I get a nice detailed smooth sound from my Aerial 5T's.
The brightness on top is distortion (trace amounts of higher ordered harmonics to which the ear is keenly sensitive). Tone controls won't fix it.
Tube preamps make less of this distortion than solid state. For this reason a good tube preamp can tone things down, without a loss of speed or highs.
There are tube preamps that can drive the balanced inputs of the Pass no worries. I'd stay away from tone controls if I were you (and fix the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it)- the more circuits you introduce, the more coloration and less transparency. The reason to go with high end audio is to get closer to the music, not further away!
one of those threads where everybody might be right..
bad power does not help
distortion is bad
maybe the Thiels are a git bright w rising top end, certainly not an odd observation as even die hard Jim Tbfans notice this sometimes ( count me as one and an ocassional owner and I used to sell them ages ago
maybe it is the room
and maybe it is the recording.....where tone controls are a god send....Gold Dust Woman..might be a fair example...