Help with kef r900 issue

I bought a pair of kef r900 speakers from kefdirect in April 2018. I enjoy them most of the time, but with some vocals, e.g., Alan Jackson, Allison Krauss and Mary Chaplin Carpenter, at nearly any level, they sometimes make a ripping, tearing or distorted sound that is hard to describe. Initially, I used a McIntosh MC202 with 200 rms, and now a Rotel RB 1590, with identical results. Initially, I used a very old Transparent Musiclink cable and now a Transparent Plus, again with identical results. I’m about to dump these unless I can figure it out since KEF has no one in the NW to repair them and they advise against paying to ship them (I agree). Before I write them off as a bad bargain, theories are solicited! Thanks
128x128maritime51
Just received, which ignores it is a latent defect, and I did as KEF asked, initially:

”Thank you for your email. We understand you have recently been having some issues with the KEF R900 speakers delivered on April 18th (Tracking ESTES: 1169292478). At the time of checkout you agreed to the terms and conditions set forth for completing your transaction. Customers have thirty days from the time of delivery to return products due to any defect that could arise. As three months had past since your delivery before any complaint was made you are no longer eligible for return. Having sold countless R900 around the world with no issues there is no inherent design or fabrication issue present in the R900 speakers. Thousands of customer and professional reviews will attest to this. As of this date, August 27, 2018, the KEF service department has provided a replacement R900 driver, as well as has offered to fully repair or replace your speakers under warranty. If you have any additional questions or concerns please let us know. We look forward to continuing to provide exemplary service to our customers. Sincerely, Dan Sheinbaum KEF America Inc., E-Commerce Manager”

Bitter fruit indeed.

maritime51, please understand up from that I am completely on your side and would love to see KEF pay the $300 freight for sending the speakers to them for repair. I have read everything you wrote, but look at it from another point of view. First, it is weird that you are having a problem with both speakers. Second, if this was a true latent defect I personally don’t think KEF would blow you off.

You did not acknowledge what I wrote above and have copied right here, as it seems like one of the only possible explanations remaining: "Is it possible that your speaker cable is so low impedance that they are causing your amps to oscillate like could happen with Goertz Alpha Core cables used without the supplied Zobel network? Do you have another brand speaker cable to try, even if its Home Depot lamp cord?

KEF did not explain this to you as they should have, but I had a similar thing happen to me (not with audio) where I wanted someone to do something special for me and not blindly follow the company’s stated policy. They explained that if they made a special exception for me, then all the other customers that had a similar issue would be able to pretty much have grounds to sue the company (or whatever) that the same special consideration was not made for them.

Maybe reach out to someone higher up in customer support and/or escalate things publicly to twitter. If you can actually get the issue to appear on video, I would simply post it to twitter and they'll be forced to acknowledge it at that point, assuming everyone can hear the defect.
Post removed 
Post removed