Magnepan 3.6 or 3.7

I have a chance to buy mint 3.6s for $2,000 or mint 3.7s (not "i") with mye stands for $3500.  Both cherry wood.  I currently own 1.6s.  Please weigh in.

Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmagnepanmike

Well, if you want to bi-amp, go for the 3.6, which has a parallel x/o. The 3.7 has a series x/o, bi-amping not possible without surgery.

Another consideration is the possible delamination of the conductive wires on the Mylar diaphragms of all 3.6's. Magnepan changed the glue they used in 2005, so all 3.6's are susceptible to the wires coming loose from the Mylar. 3.7's made before 2005 are as well, so call Magnepan with their serial numbers to check on the glue used in their construction. The delamination can be repaired, but it's a bit of a chore. 

I’d go for the 3.7s assuming the cost differential is not a big issue for you and you don’t want to bi-amp (two assumptions on my part I realize).

Reason?

1. The last 3.6s were made nearly ten years ago, and this pair could be much older. Just seems you get many more years service out of the 3.7s and likely better resale if you ever decide to sell them.

BTW: “3.7’s made before 2005....“ I think the 3.7s came out around 2010 or so the glue issue never effected 3.7s.

2. The Mye stands go for +$500 new and they absolutely improve the performance of the big maggies, so the cost delta between the 3.6 and 3.7 should be discounted by that amount as you consider your decision.

Hope that helps....
the age of the 3.6 can vary by very many years...could you send the 3.7 to Magnepan for the i upgrade might be a factor also...
If you can stretch the budget ever so slightly, the 3.7's would be a much better buy. The Mye stands are definitely a big improvement. Also, the 3.7's are going to keep their value better if you ever decide to upgrade in the future.