The Truth about Modern Class D

All my amps right now are Class D. ICEpower in the living room, and NAD D 3020 in the bedroom.

I’ve had several audiophiles come to my home and not one has ever said "Oh, that sounds like Class D."

Having said this, if I could afford them AND had the room, I’d be tempted to switch for a pair of Ayre monoblocks or Conrad Johnson Premiere 12s and very little else.

I’m not religious about Class D. They sound great for me, low power, easy to hide, but if a lot of cash and the need to upgrade ever hits me, I could be persuaded.

The point: Good modern Class D amps just sound like really good amplifiers, with the usual speaker/source matching issues.

You don’t have to go that route, but it’s time we shrugged off the myths and descriptions of Class D that come right out of the 1980’s.
erik_squires
@stereo5 Then consider me one of the lucky one’s.

Sighted or blind, I cannot hear a difference between them an Parasound A23s. None. Zero. Nada.

So, since it is my wallet and tastes that pay those bills, I’d rather go with the more energy efficient one.

And in fact I prefer the sound far over and above the sound of Pass. Same for Parasound vs. Pass. :)

But it isn’t because of anything I can hear as "class D sound."

You don't have to like a particular amp, but I think being dismissive of them as a class is short sighted. 
You don’t have to go that route, but it’s time we shrugged off the myths and descriptions of Class D that come right out of the 1980’s.
Make that 1990s....

First of all, I was giving my opinion and experiences with Class D and found it’s not for me, period.  I am ecstatic with my McIntosh amp, pre and integrated and they are the keepers for me.  As far as being short sited, since I am not considering any more purchases, it really does not matter.  I have heard 5 or 6 different Class D amps and have not liked any of them, so why would I continue to seek them out?   Perhaps you should of mentioned in your original post not to comment if you aren’t a fan of Class D, then I wouldn’t have bothered.  Sorry I burst your bubble.  
There are listeners who like Eric will hear no difference between class D and non class D amplifiers.   Other listeners such as stereo5 can and do hear distinct differences. Both groups are valid.
Charles 

The "truth" about class D is that it is all over the place.......just like all the other classes. They all have strengths and weaknesses......and all classes have gotten better with time. Every single thing you do to an amp module or wiring or casing or whatever makes a sonic difference. Every amp using the same stock module will even sound different as different wires, solder, connectors, damping, feet, etc. are used.

The latest and best? Class D (the Merrilll $36,000 Element 118 and the $8000 Nuprime Evolution 1) may have sound that will compete with anything. All amps based on OEM modules (modified on not) are probably not as good as these. The brand new 12000AS1/2 modules from Icepower (brand new ICEedge technology) are really refined and low distortion and tweaked out can give some serious sound and high power (600 watts into 8) for little money. I will have a $1000 amp out soon with the stereo module and also a dual mono stereo unit for $1900, as well. I expect these will beat all the older Hypex modules but will not be as good as these latest expensive tweako things mentioned above.

Everything keeps getting better. If you have not heard a class D amp for awhile, you might want to check out the very latest offerings. I will be selling my amps with a 30 days in house money back audition period and also will have one of each my amps out on tour. I have been tweaking audio since the late 70s and these amps will have 40 years of listening tweaking in their design. This is way more than a stock module in a box....way more!