Mytek slams Hypex in Stereophile Amp Review

Mytek's chief designer, Michal Jurewicz, told me. "Hypex [class-D modules] cannot drive it, the amps collapse, but this Brooklyn Amp does it with ease."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-brooklyn-amp-power-amplifier

Which is pretty interesting, because the closest I could find to their specs is from ICEpower modules. :) 

I've not been able to do comparisons with Hypex vs. ICEpower amps, so I have no idea what this is about. I use both but certainly not with difficult speakers. 
erik_squires
Nugat, 

They definitely did make a big deal of the quality of the phonograph stage. :) I have heard good things about it, but I have cats. :) 

The NAD I listen to has Hypex derived circuits. I like it, but I can't say I can tell it's better or worse than my ICE modules. I'm not feeding them into anything particularly challenging though. 

Best,

E
I also have not (knowingly) heard a Pascal based amp either. Anyone who wishes to send me a pair for evaluation... :) 

There are definitely some fans of those modules too. 

Best,

E
Only one I’ve seen do this is Miller Audio Reasearch Test Labs, when they did 3rd party Lab Report testing for HiFi News and Record Review, like they did on the Wilson Alexia, which managed an EPDR of just 0.9ohm!!!! in the bass.
https://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/press/WA%20Alexia%20HFN%200313-4web.pdf

Cheers George
Ha George, My Watt 3's went one better  0.75 Ohm!

Class D seems to work better than Class AB in Power regeneration Products though.

team212
Class D will continue to evolve and eventually overtake SS and tube ... but this is years down the road ... until everyone over 50 yo has died off ... lol.

Seriously, the Class D are amazing these days compared to even 3 years ago.
I dont understand how anyone can just write off Class D altogether? The dude quoted above ... hasn’t heard high end Class D, eg Merrill amps.

But Eric, I have never heard anyone c/o the Hypex NCORE modules. Never. And they only get better, with better power supplies and support circuit.

And also, to offer an example, I do have a Hypex UCD 400w module that drives a 12" woofer in my Zu Audio Undertone sub. Its a monster. I live in CA and it makes me think I'm undergoing a earthquake.

Last, The Red Dragons have found homes, e.g Clayton Shaw of Spatial speakers used them at trade shows. And the other ICE module mentioned above, I currently own a Bel Canto Ref500s Class D amp. And it still drives my Dynaudios very well (Dyns are known to need and sound best with high power)
Seriously, the Class D are amazing these days compared to even 3 years ago.
This is quite possibly true, however it is hilarious that people have been saying this about Class D for the last 20 years.