The Truth about Modern Class D

All my amps right now are Class D. ICEpower in the living room, and NAD D 3020 in the bedroom.

I’ve had several audiophiles come to my home and not one has ever said "Oh, that sounds like Class D."

Having said this, if I could afford them AND had the room, I’d be tempted to switch for a pair of Ayre monoblocks or Conrad Johnson Premiere 12s and very little else.

I’m not religious about Class D. They sound great for me, low power, easy to hide, but if a lot of cash and the need to upgrade ever hits me, I could be persuaded.

The point: Good modern Class D amps just sound like really good amplifiers, with the usual speaker/source matching issues.

You don’t have to go that route, but it’s time we shrugged off the myths and descriptions of Class D that come right out of the 1980’s.
erik_squires
To say class D is bright means you are not very well versed in quality class D.

This is correct as they can be either too bright (hard) or to opaque (soft) or a milder mix of both, and it nearly always comes down to how savage the output filter is that attenuates the switching frequency. As it's phase shift effects can be measure within the audio bands upper frequencies right down to 5khz, especially, the "opaque sounding one". You never hear of anyone criticizing the bass, that's because it good!

There are those that for the life of them can't hear anything wrong, good luck to them I say.

Cheers George
audiothesis : 

Aha! :) 

I knew you were one of those OTL scoundrels! 

J/k : But the truth is if OTL is what you like, then talking about good Class D amps is not going to be your cup of tea.

Best,

E
I'm new to digital music, but not analog.  I have a vintage McIntosh system that's been my main system for almost 20 years.

I started building a listening room digital system about 4 months ago.  I'm mostly-retired and didn't want to spend too much on it.  I got a good deal on a new NAD M12/M22 v2 combo, a used pair of Tannoy 8 dcti speakers; and a demo Innous Zenith MK2.  

At first, I was not very happy with my new purchases.  As the equipment has aged and I've bought better speaker wire, interconnects, and power cords, I've experienced a dramatic improvement in SQ - but at times, the highs are still too bright.  I plan to treat my room within the next 30 days, hoping that will help enough.  If not, I'll have some decisions to make.
Old school, get professional help from GIK,

and don't neglect the flooring, between and behind the speakers. Try using pillows and blankets to test with for free.  :) 

Best,

Erik
Good modern Class D amps just sound like really good amplifiers

@erik_squires   I completely agree with you.  Just picked up a Wyred4Sound STI-v2 today, replacing a Parasound HINT (which I really loved)

I'm so impressed with W4S out of the box.  It's very similar sounding to the Parasound, but better dynamics, and quieter.  Still has a very lush, and warm sound.

I expect it to improve more as I run it through the long weekend.