The Truth about Modern Class D

All my amps right now are Class D. ICEpower in the living room, and NAD D 3020 in the bedroom.

I’ve had several audiophiles come to my home and not one has ever said "Oh, that sounds like Class D."

Having said this, if I could afford them AND had the room, I’d be tempted to switch for a pair of Ayre monoblocks or Conrad Johnson Premiere 12s and very little else.

I’m not religious about Class D. They sound great for me, low power, easy to hide, but if a lot of cash and the need to upgrade ever hits me, I could be persuaded.

The point: Good modern Class D amps just sound like really good amplifiers, with the usual speaker/source matching issues.

You don’t have to go that route, but it’s time we shrugged off the myths and descriptions of Class D that come right out of the 1980’s.
erik_squires
erik_squires
Old school, get professional help from GIK

and don't neglect the flooring, between and behind the speakers. Try using pillows and blankets to test with for free. :)
Erik, thanks much for the advice.  I have throw rugs, over a tile floor, in front of the speakers.  I'm going to try pillow and blankets today!  I saw another suggestion on agon about hanging towels behind the speaker as a test.  I've got plenty of towels and nothing to loose.

The dealer who sold me the Zenith came to my house with an assortment of demo diffusers, absorbers, and bass traps.  I could have purchased them at a good price, but the colors did not fit my taste or room, and some panels looked worn.  But, I will say, the SQ improved with them.  

I'm educating myself on DIY acoustic treatment and have been corresponding with RealTraps.  This past week, I began researching GIK products.  I plan to call GIK after the holidays, send pictures of my setup, and go from there. 

Regarding Class D amps, the NAD M22 v2 uses Hypex nCore technology; and overall I'm quite happy with M12/M22 combo//Zenith MK2.  The sound and SQ is different than that produced by my 90's era McIntosh C31v pre and MC2600 PA; and my 80's era SoundCraftsman SP4001 EQ/pre and Pioneer SPEC-4 PA.  Since the source material, technologies, and speakers are different with each setup, I think that should be expected.  I use each system different.  My vintage analog gear is in a rather large basement bar/sitting/pool room area; the digital gear in my basement listening room. 

If I can warm the listening room sound a bit and reduce the echo chamber effect with the right room treatment (and may different cables, cords, and interconnects), I'll be a happier camper.

About a 18 months ago I got my first class-d amp from Nuprime. They use a proprietary module. 

The price/performance ratio is outstanding with my IDA-16. Completly happy with every aspect of its performance.

Cheers,

Scott
I would like to explain to everyone why heavier than air flight is impossible, you cannot transmit radio signals across a vacuum and transistors will never be useful. Bear with me as I gather the relevant quotes.
Post removed 
Haven't read everyone else's posts, no time. 

Every time I use a class D, then switch back to class A/B I think, nope, class D is not quite there yet. Case in point, the superb Belles ARIA Mono Block Amplifiers I reviewed for Dagogo.com outshine the class D amps I have used (several). The ARIA amps are still here, the others are gone. 

That's not to say you cannot build a wonderful sounding rig with class D, as I have done so many times. But, you get even a more affordable classic design such as the ARIA set up well and imo there is still a significant gap in performance. I suspect you would have to spend at least double the amount of the ARIA amps to get close. 

I have been through this cycle several times, perhaps five or six times, and while class D keeps getting better, so do the class A and A/B amps. They are not sitting on their laurels, but making nice improvements, refinements as well. 

FYI, the just reviewed COS D1 DAC + Preamplifier (reviewed) is an impressive unit, and with the ARIA Monos the sound quality is most impressive. I have used some very pricey amps, and this combo is the best of class with the Vapor Audio Joule White. Of course, I am using the Schroeder Method of Interconnect Placement with it (see other threads under Cable forum if interested). This gives a very unfair advantage over a standard setup. At this point it is not recommended to use the Schroeder Method with class D amps, as it could cause problems operationally. (NOTIFICATION; ANYONE CONSIDERING THE SCHROEDER METHOD OF INTERCONNECT PLACEMENT PLEASE HEED WARNINGS/RECOMMENDATIONS IN REGARD TO USE OF THAT METHOD; it is entirely a "do at your own risk" activity). Consequently it's no contest between class D and class A or A/B. The Schroeder Method causes the traditional setup with a class D amp to sound significantly lacking in comparison to a class A or A/B with the Schroeder Method. It is so superior that I have reservations that any class D set up with a single IC would outperform it regardless of cost. That suspicion may be proven wrong over time, and I will keep trying various class D amps (So far, the Pascal based Red Dragon has been a standout; I would never try the Schroeder Method of interconnect placement with such an amp), but I suspect the deficit of a single IC is too great to overcome. 

Make no mistake, the Schroeder Method is no gimmick, nor a "tweak". It's quite powerful in its effect, with an impact similar to upgrading one or two components to the tune of several thousand dollars. I am not exaggerating. Read the comments from those who have tried. But again, check with your manufacturer of gear and it's entirely do at your own risk. If you think cables can't do such things, then you are a bit behind the curve on cables.  And, no, I have zero interest in arguing that point. :) 

So, at this point, merely doubling interconnects as per the Schroeder Method has now handily bested any class D amp set up with single IC that I have ever used, and in the foreseeable future.