The Truth about Modern Class D

All my amps right now are Class D. ICEpower in the living room, and NAD D 3020 in the bedroom.

I’ve had several audiophiles come to my home and not one has ever said "Oh, that sounds like Class D."

Having said this, if I could afford them AND had the room, I’d be tempted to switch for a pair of Ayre monoblocks or Conrad Johnson Premiere 12s and very little else.

I’m not religious about Class D. They sound great for me, low power, easy to hide, but if a lot of cash and the need to upgrade ever hits me, I could be persuaded.

The point: Good modern Class D amps just sound like really good amplifiers, with the usual speaker/source matching issues.

You don’t have to go that route, but it’s time we shrugged off the myths and descriptions of Class D that come right out of the 1980’s.
erik_squires

I have had the opportunity of trying in my own system a late pre-production of the brand new Merrill Element 118 monos... All amps of the new Oganessom series have class D output stage circuits totally designed in house by Merril... They employ Gallium nitrite transistors switching in the Mhz range.

In spite of the units that I demoed being pre-production, and not yet sporting all the circuit details of the very final implementation, the tone of the monos was absolutely delectable for all parameters I an think of.... From delicacy and extension of treble, to the complexity of the midrange, to the depth and tunefulness of the bass... And let us not forget a quite phenomenal authority, staging and imaging.

Element 118 were immersive and mesmerizing, with a complex resolution and musical tonality  that I have experienced only in rare cases. The element 118  prototypes seemed to rank with flagship devices from some of my favorite brands, such as amplifiers from Soloution, the ARC reference series, and my own Rowland M925 monos.

On the other hand, if what you seek is a classic warm tube sound, none of the above will do.... It is not a matter of such designs as the Merrill Oganessom series, Rowland M925 and Daemon, or even the class A/B Soulution amps, or even the reference seiries ARC tube amps. "not being there" yet for a reason or another....

Rather, the designers of any of these devices are not aiming at the slightly euphonic warmth of the classic tube sound.

While general goals at Rowland, ARC, and Soulution include, amongst other parameters, harmonic complexity and minimization of intermodulative distortions in the treble, they aim to maintain an even treatment of harmonics across the spectrum, without preferencial emphasis of any particular region of the audible band. But designers achieve their flagship goals with very different sophisticated strategies, which employ Tubes at ARC, class A/B output stages with Soulution, NCore NC1200 or Pascal X-Pro2 in Rowland, and completely custom design of class D output stage on the Merrill Oganessom series.

Bottomline... Do not get fixated on topologies, and keep an open mind. Keep auditioning to amps of different tonality, designs, and vintage... You never know what might capture your heart *Grins!*

Remember that the worst enemy of audiophiles, and humans in general, is what is sometimes called the false induction step... That is judging an entire class of complex objects based on characteristics of some small number of samples. Even less reliable a technique when the samples are out of date or otherwise obsolete.

Saluti, G.

helomech - 

So you heard Parasound and Devialet amps on Magnepans and did not like the Devialet. 

That is 1 single sample of a specific Class D amplifier you did not like. Is that correct? 

Erik 
It’s closing in on sixteen years since Stereophile first stirred the pot when they gave the $1700. PS Audio HCA-2 their Solid State A list recommendation.

And the beat goes on...

@mdeblanc 
Your Cherries replaced a J2? That says something. And you are “just” using the Desktop 60v amp Version. 

I have an Ultra Cherry coming to me soon. For those who may not know, The Ultra is a hybrid SS/CLASS D amp with an 1800w toroidal transformer for extra headroom and transients. SNR is still 116.

Built by Tommy O’Brien of the Digital Amp Co in PA. He is the quintessential independent owner/engineer/designer that sells only via word of mouth and his own thread on AudioCircle, no adverts. He does some custom jobs too. 
@phomchick
all good points. But I would argue 2 things, that although built in DACs with Built-in DAC with built-in amps-in-speakers May very well @be the future”. But that will be more of a commercial product in the future than an audiophile product. 

Mand the Kefs entwined are good, but not great cans same for all the Dynaudio all in one speakers I’ve heard. Severely limited in many respects. Sound. Precision. Pray. Musicality. Power. Nuance. 

And my 2nd point? Well, there is no damn fun if the system and speaker do everything for you. Again, that is a commercial product, not an audiophile product. If DSP is going to do everything for you, then you don’t learn anything about how the sound waves and sound effects can be managed in your room with your own knowledge and know-how.   Boring.