Grado Stylus Upgrade

I currently am using a Grado Gold cartridge from the Prestige line. The cartridge was bought new about a year ago and has not seen heavy use. Basically, still like new. Although the Gold is not anywhere near the top of Grado's line of cartridges it is still decent with my system. I have read numerous forums and almost all Grado users recommend upgrading the standard Gold stylus to the 8MZ stylus for superior performance. That stylus goes for $150 which is more than half of what the Gold cartridge with standard stylus costs. I am not interested in a complete cartridge upgrade at this time but am curious if the 8MZ stylus upgrade is worth the expense? I guess that any users that have this cartridge and have done the stylus upgrade consider it a worthwhile upgrade.

jrpnde
Hi, where can I find a new replacement stylus for my MCZ and which stylus is compatible?

@pryso

The 8 MX is start of sale in the year 87/88
these specifications:

output: 3.5 mv at 3.54 cm / sec
response 10-50,000 Hz
separation channels 25db
compliance 25
tracking force 1.5 gr.
stylus twin tip
impedance preamp 47,000 Ohms
stylus replacement 8mx/s

Best-Groove / LP Gear or Needle Doctor. I've purchased from both of them in the past without any issues. 
chakster....I am most interested in your statement about removing the existing stylus. When I bought the Grado Gold cartridge from my local dealer and their turntable expert installed it on my table I asked him the question about removing and reinstalling the stylus. He demonstrated by removing and replacing the stock stylus in a matter of about 3 seconds, Would any of these stylus upgrades be any more difficult to install?Thanks for all advice.
pryso, I went through almost every “Signature” Grado back in the day. I suppose the 8MX could be considered an “earlier version of the 8MZ” and it did precede the 8MZ. However, as I recall there was a fairly significant uptick in overall sound quality with the release of the Z “series”. If memory serves there was an upgrade in the quality of the internal wire and magnet material as well as other “improvements” to the stylus assemblies. The 8MZ was to my ears a better sounding cartridge than the pricier MCX which was a better sounding cartridge than the 8MX. Perhaps that puts things in a useful perspective. All fine sounding cartridges with that wonderful midrange.

8M, 8MR, 10MR, 8MX, MCX, MCX II, 8MZ, MCZ, TLZ, XTZ, 8MZ v, TLZ v, XTZ v.

I owned every one (!) except for the “v” versions of the Z series. All fine sounding cartridges with that great Grado midrange. The Z’s struck me as a significant step up in sound quality; especially the XTZ.