DENAFRIPS DAC ---- Owner Impressions, Feedback, General Discussion, Questions and more....

Thread for OWNER IMPRESSIONS, FEEDBACK, QUESTIONS, ETC. regarding DENAFRIPS DACs.

DENAFRIPS lists the following R2R DACs:

Ares, Pontus, Venus, and Terminator (in increasing price order).

"DENAFRIPS incorporated in year 2012, focus in developing high end audio equipment at a very affordable price. Throughout the years of intense Research & Development, and continuous improvement of the product lines, DENAFRIPS had finally settled with the current product range equipped with R-2R ladder DAC technology. The reason behind this is the designer strongly believe that R-2R DAC is the best way to reproduce music.

The name, DENAFRIPS, stand for:

D-ynamic
E-xquisite
N-atural
A-ttractive
F-idelity
R-efined
I-ntoxicating
P-ure
S-ophisticated

This mean a lot and it is the house-sound of all DENAFRIPS products." [Copied From Denafrips About Us section]
Ag insider logo xs@2xdavid_ten
@geekee  If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Manual, page 5. I've linked the manual here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4b933e_81b73a51d21a4814800733cd8bbb0e70.pdf

Otherwise, check with Alvin.

Congratulations, by the way!!! Looking forward to hearing how it all works out.
Thanks David! 

Problem is not the Terminator. Not sure if it's a problem but the pi 3b set up has to be DSD(dop) for the Terminator to recognize as DSD. Set at DSD Direct (native) the SU-1 unit's led just pcm and the same with the dac as well. Don't want to start a debate dsd direct vs. dop but first impression the SU-1 is not that "smart". 

Just a side note, pi set output at dsd direct and usb cable directly to the terminator not using the SU1, the dac recognize up to dsd256 no problem

Thanks for clarifying, @geekee  

You may want to ask in the Singxer / Raspberry Pi threads on Computer Audiophile.

Great to hear Pi direct is working fine!
I had the Terminator for about 4 months. As it goes through the break-in process, the sound gets better and better. Beyond 2000 hours of use, it sounds very good, sometimes better than vinyl.

But today I had the biggest ’aha’ moment in my hifi journey. After 3-week wait, I received my Marantz SA-10, a CD/SACD player with USB Audio, USB flash drive, and coax inputs, can be used as DAC even thought it does not have a conventional DAC (all signals upscaled to DSD 4x and sent directly to analog output stage with filters). Wow, out of the box, it terminated my Terminator and vinyl rigs. The SA-10 costs about 1.5x of Terminator, but the sound difference is a lot more than that. Each of them (Terminator and SA-10) costs less than my AR phono stage.

When my SA-10 is fully broken in, I will share my impression.
@anwar Can you share what the specific chains for each of your ’systems,’ inclusive of cabling, are? Thanks.

Congrats on your Marantz SA-10!!!