TV Selection: Two Questions

I want to take advantage of the Circuit City liquidation sale and pick up a flat panel. My budget is about $1,000 (which should be plenty with whatever extra discounts are available.)

1. Most interested in LG or Samsung models. Watch Tv mostly at night, just news, b.s. programming. Movies once or twice a month from cable or DVD. Any recommendations? Want to shopt today.

2. Viewing position is mostly straight on about 12 feet from screen. What size?

thanks!
smwdrtwin
Has anyone actually measured power usage of a plasma set with a watt meter? I have with my 50" Pioneer and an APC power conditioner and it doesn't measure much more than my old 32" CRT. With a DVD on standby, Directv receiver and the Pioneer, set to power save 1, operating it reads between 250-300 VA. My electric bill did go up but that was because I watch so much more moronic TV.

And to the OP, I'd get a 42" model unless you want a cinema experience. It will blend with decor a lot better when turned off. My 2 cents.
"Here's your answer 139 HDTVs' power consumption compared."
Gmood1, don't believe everything you read.

My set listing is 60 watts higher than what I actually see. Doesn't say whether that is an average or maximum or does it take into account picture settings. Plasma usage will vary with brightness of pic vs. LCD which is maxed whenever set is on.
After reading a bit deeper I see those chart readings are default settings. I would think most audiophiles would either adjust pic setting themselves or have pro calibration which subdues the pic quite a bit. The difference listed in Juice Box of the review for the PDP 5080 is 228 watts for a calibrated set or over 100 watts less than listed in the chart. Sometimes correct answers are not all that obvious.
>2. Viewing position is mostly straight on about 12 feet from screen. What size?

The biggest you can afford. 110" diagonal is a nice compromise which leaves scope DVDs only a little on the small size.

Don't worry about 1080p at that distance, since you can't visually resolve it.