Accuracy vs. Enjoyment

Would you rather have a system that accurately portrays the grooves (or pits) in the record or CD,
or one which sounds good on the majority of discs?
Acknowledging that not all media are created equal, the best system will sound best on the best, most accurate discs.  But what if the great majority of average sounding discs don’t measure up, and indeed are annoying compared to the best?
What then?

128x128rvpiano
rvpiano

Actually, one can have both characteristics if desired. Careful selection of gear and system synergy will yield accuracy, enjoyment.  I will report that it is probably easier to assemble a system for musical enjoyment.
This is such a great hobby.   Happy Listening!
@rvpiano   +1 for jafant   You really can assemble a system which is accurate and musically pleasing even with imperfect media.  The very quest you ask about is what for many of its is the driving force in assembling our gear and massaging that gear with appropriate attention to footers, tubes, decoupling of speakers and subwoofers from the sound room and lest we forget proper and judicious room treatment. It takes time to get it all right but when you do, you can just sit back and let the beauty of the music wash over you.
I agree with the responses from Jafant and Hifiman5. I’ve found that improvements in accuracy, especially with respect to resolution of fine detail, can make mediocre or poor recordings sound more enjoyable. As well as improving the reproduction of great recordings, of course.

A good example of that would be an orchestral recording having overly bright string sound. I’ve found that the brightness will be less objectionable if the sound of massed strings is reproduced in an accurate and detailed manner than if it is reproduced with less resolution of detail, and consequently in a more homogenized manner.

I’ll mention also that I’ve come to believe that time coherence can be a significant contributor to achieving that. Most speakers are not time coherent, including all speakers having crossover slopes that are more than 6 db/octave, which means nearly all speakers that have crossovers and are not made by Vandersteen, Thiel, Green Mountain Audio, and perhaps one or two others. And the addition of a DEQX to my system a couple of years ago, which can bring any speaker that is not time coherent significantly closer to being so, has helped to firm up that conclusion in my mind. Another member here who is very experienced with time coherent speakers had made a similar point here in the long-running DEQX thread. Comparisons I’ve made between listening via speakers and listening via my highly detailed and time coherent Stax electrostatic headphones have also led me to that conclusion.

Best regards,
-- Al
Al,
"I've found that improvements in accuracy, especially with respect to resolution of fine detail, can make mediocre or poor recordings sound more enjoyable. As well as improving the reproduction of great recordings, of course"

I couldn't agree more. It's exactly why I go through all the trouble of it.
I also agree it is possible (and what one would want) to have a system with great detail, and accuracy, yet sounds pleasing.