Good Achtung Baby CD? I got a bad one.

Achtung Baby is probably my favorite US album. When it first came out I had it on cassette tape. Then, years later acquired it via iTunes. Always listened to it on OEM car stereos or low end systems.

Now that I've got my high end system I do not like the SQ of the standard compressed iTunes version. So I did a little research on the dynamic range web site dr. loudness-war and purchased a cheaply priced copy of the Island Records CD (314-510 347-2, cat # D125174) that rated pretty highly on that site in regard to dynamic range anyway.

Well, it does not sound good. Way too bass heavy and bass is a muddy wall of background noise, midrange and vocals seem lost in it all, treble is okay. It seems like the dynamic range is concentrated in the high and low ends. I noticed on the CD that it was "Manufactured for BMG Direct Marketing, Inc." I'm assuming this was a club CD. It was new (old stock). Don't know if that might be part of the problem or not.

I compared it to Tidal's high res version (but just from my laptop to pre-amp via RCA cord, no DAC) and even that sounded better than the CD but still not great in my opinion.

So I'm wondering, who has a CD of this album that they like? I do not have an SACD player or BluRay. Or do all the CD versions sound so-so? That would be surprising for a band like U2 but still possible I guess. Any recommendations much appreciated.

George

n80
Hi N80
Put on the Achtung Baby from Tidal and in my opinion it sounds fine. Not as detailed maybe, more power. Hear the kick-drum in So Clear. Got all the dynamic you can wish for. The bass lines are really deep which makes them hard to separate from the kick-drum in some songs. But not in Zoo Station and especially not in Mysterious Ways. 

The problem with U2 recordings I have found is that they need good equipment (speakers) to really understand and appreciate them. And when you got that you understand how good (live) they are. I am now listening to Achtung Baby through my newly acquired used Unity Audio The Boulders active monitors which are high grade recording/mixing monitors. They are very balanced and goes deep and that is what you need for U2. Elac mid with a built in Elac ribbon. If your speakers exaggerate the bass the sound will be a mess. If they don't play the deep enough you will not understand anything.....

ozzy62, wish you a better life. You seem depressed.

Made me revisit other U2. Tidal as always for me (when I don't have to order some cd that not exist on Tidal like I did with the only release from David Forman recently (and BBA - Live Japan and Alessi Brothers)).

The latest Songs of Experience is very dynamic and balanced. Still heavy kicks bot now with bass lines that are very good separated. Maybe not as live as the darker Achtung Baby. Actually my room rumbles. Lots of deep in the recordings. Reference recording. 
Thanks gosta. Although I am a new audiophile and don't have a lot to compare my system to in regard to other equipment, I understand that the system I have is decent. (Audio Research LS16 tubed line stage, Proceed HPA2 amp (Mark Levinson) and Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers.

Reviews of the LS16 and the speakers suggest that they are not bass heavy.

I do not hear the system as bass heavy with other recordings. Just the opposite sometimes. In other well recorded media (Aja by Steely Dan) I would say the bass is perfect for me. I'd even use the word luscious. 

Anyway, there is a chance that it is just a matter or my taste having changed I guess.
That's why I believe Achtung Baby could be better to judge the quality of the speakers than Aja. Everything will sound fantastic with Aja. it's that
kind of audiophile recording. 

Yes, I saythe speakers because the rest of the chain matter to a degree but the speakers decides what you hear. And naturally the room. Why not try to move around the speakers and see what happens with the sound and the separation in the bass.