Help me replace ancient speakers - or not

Looking forward to your collective wisdom...

Short version:
Should I replace my 40 year old Allison One speakers with something made within, oh, the last couple of decades??  And can I get something reasonably full-range, that can fit into my small NYC living room, for, say, $2500 or less?  Used is fine. 

Long version:
I've had these Allison Ones for about 10 years, and they replaced Allison Sixes that I purchased new in 1982 or so.  So I've had very similar speaker "sound" for a verrrry long time. 

I've been interested in hi-fi since the 80s but rarely purchase anything new - clearly!  I'm a musician and equipment/hobby money has usually gone to instruments and music instead.  I try to get improvements on a small budget. 

Rest of the system is a NAD C352 integrated (Craigslist find!) with Tara Labs jumpers, a Marantz CD6005 cd player, and an Auralic Aries MIni streamer, the last two running through an Audio GD r2r DAC.  This is all cheapish stuff, but it sounds good in our small apartment, or it does most of the time.  

I'm listening to a Geri Allen trio date with Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette, and her piano sounds full and tonally correct, and the bass and drums are balanced and impactful.  There isn't a huge amount of imaging  - Allisons don't really do that - but it all seems pretty correct.  BUT - maybe I'm just used to it?  

Other factors: we like to listen to everything from jazz to opera to poorly-recorded music from all over the world, at realistic volumes.  Scale is important, imaging not so much in my book.  My ears have taken a beating from years of loud gigs so I favor a warm-ish sound, but am open to trying something totally different.  I'm always drawn to the Audio Note rooms at shows, and a pair of AN-E's would be my dream.  Thinking of Klipsch Heresy's too, for some reason.  Gosh, I guess these are pretty ancient designs too.  

Any thoughts welcome and sorry for the novel. 
sforrey
We have a few speakers which might really do the trick, we have a few pairs of supeb demo speakers, including a pair of Gershman Sonograms which were $3,800 new selling $2k, warm full bodied great bass, warm tonality, we also have a pair of Gradient Evidence very compact floorstanders amazing sound and will work great in a tiny NYC apartment.

We are easy to reach via Path or Bus from NYC.  Brand new Dali Opticon's are amazing elegant and compact floorstanders.

These are all excellent choices that will do what you want without breaking the bank and they all come with the service and support of a dealer. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Let the dream come true - Audio Note it is. And much better electronics and cables and power cords.Probably player too. Not necessarily all at once. But if you like your speakers.. 
If you ask enough people you will get suggestions for just about every speaker ever made in your price range... No one knows what YOU like except for you. You need to go out and listen to different speakers to get this figured out.. Maybe there is an audio store near you and you can take home some stuff to demo.. Also, I didnt see if you had mentioned what size room you have. Proper setup makes a huge difference. 
I hope this post doesn’t grate too hard on the real Audiofile crowd here.
I use mix of professional Audio and  mid-fi Audio equipment to achieve my current version (>$ >) audio bliss. I have a Yamaha mixer for my pro, and a Rogue 99 preamp, to play LPs.
Line-out and from the preamp to my powered Focal Solo Be6 speakers.  Your MAC integrated has 2 line out.  
I had a great pair of boutique speakers (now passed along to my daughter)  in the early 80s. They have duel-coil winding Focal Drivers, and still sounds great.  I discovered the brand name the hard way at a party where someone else was Acting DJ!   Zalatron! UGH!  I put Focal speakers in a car 20 years ago. They were like $55 a piece. They were great back then.  The  near field studio Focal Be6 are great now at $2200 a pair, new!  They have a great deal of mid-range detail. Clarity at the high-end.  Front port for base/close to the wall installation.  BEATIFULLY finished & XLR only input.   Adjustable shelf /. I go from my RCA out preamp to  RCA IN on my M-audio Sub, then to The Focals with XLR.  It’s balanced-with that though.  This serves both Nearfield mixing needs and wonderful audio from pre-recorded sources.
 I use vinyl myself!  My BentUnderground studio is 11 feet deep w  7 foot ceiling..  I know you said you don’t care about it too much, but in addition to all of that you get an incredible Soundstage.

Bent Underground
Might want to try some ELAC offerings--ought to be ideal in small living room. Older Debut B6's go for around $200 a pr.--newer 6.2's about $300 a pr. They are all very well reviewed and ought to work well w/NAD.