Factory checkup just before selling...

I've been curious about the number of ads for used equipment that indicate the piece has been checked and certified by the factory. It seems like a great deal of expense, inconvenience (some of our stuff is heavy!!!) and time for the seller to round trip ship it. I recognize the value perceived by the buyer (if it's true), but it kind of a red alert to me whenever I see it, like a "only driven to church on Sundays" ploy.

Would appreciate thoughts and feedback from someone that's either done this, or bought a piece of equipment listed as such. Did they provide paperwork?

Oh, and I've got a rare Hummel listed on eBay. It was made in 1883 and is of Spiderman. Best offer.

Suspicious by nature,
Chris
cvalle
I just had my Krell MCX350 monos serviced, 1 had an issue and both had all capacitors replaced. $2k later they are like new. However I will be selling either these or MC601 monos after I see which ones I like better. The Krell's are now factory spec fresh and I would rather have those with invoice of what was replaced if I were buying Krell's.

If you are concerned, simply ask the seller if  the unit was repaired and what the repairs were. 

serviced is not the same as repaired.  While this may not alter my opinion about purchasing, I would like to know.

enjoy

I think an ethical seller is obligated to tell the buyer whether a unit has ever been repaired.  But it's also up to the buyer to ask.  
I would think the factory could verify. I think on some items it is worth doing, on others not so much. I bought a small Audience Power Conditioner that had a factory check, cost the seller very little to do, and made a difference to me as buyer...
I’ll usually buy anything, but those ads put me off. I would rather have no story than half of one, YMMV.