Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Inna, everyone who listens to Brazilian, Cuban, or Afro Cuban jazz explores Sub Saharan rhythms.

Music is not a zebra, or an elephant; it has no habitat, it exists in the minds of people.

I was speaking specifically of the rhythms that came from Africa, primarily the drum rhythms. African American musicians had to go to Africa to discover them. I did not say back to Africa because they had never been to Africa in the first place; they were descendants of slaves who had been brought to America involuntarily in slave ships.

While they brought the drum rhythms with them, they were forbidden drums because the slavers said they used them to communicate, and I can't give any examples of Sub Saharan drums in early African American music, but they exist in Cuban, Brazilian, Haitian, and other South American music; there must be a reason.

"Daily interactions with white people. Not all slave owners were bad or mostly bad, but interaction even with bad can give a lot."

Slaves lived on plantations in Mississippi and other Southern States, what daily interactions with white people, the one's with the whips.

I'm sure you can give plenty examples of "good slave owners'".
Inna, we have had some brilliant people to come and go; this thread is fortunate that the Frogman has stayed.

Inna, what you found is downright erotic and sensual, although the music is not as good as it could be; after all, you and I are "audiophiles" and more critical in regard to such things; this music is what we live.

If I don’t respond to someone like Sonny Rollins, it’s because I’ve been listening to him for all of my adult life, and still listen to him intently; what is there to say?
Look around you and you will see that quite a number of people are in slavish relations, some throughout their lives, at times this brings out art in them, including music.
But this is not a very good place to talk about these things.
As for that sensual piece, I think music is adequate. There can always be something better.