Could I make use of a DAC with my setup?

I stream music (Spotify Premium) from my PC via 3.5mm cable into a Parasound P5 preamp, which is hooked to a Parasound A23 amp, and from there to Klipsch Fortes that I purchased new in 1986, I think. 

I had the impression that if I use a DAC before the P5 preamp, the DAC's output would be "reprocessed" by the DAC in the preamp, and, therefore, useless.

Is my impression correct?  Thanks!
forsooth
No this is the only micromega product I have owned.  I got it for the room correction the streaming capabilities was a surprise. It connects to my library, internet radio, tidal I am hoping they add Qobuz. 
To be sure they will.  Both French companies.  Would be unpatriotic if they did not work together! :')

Hi, forsooth,

Not intending to confuse things but here’s another option you may want to consider...

I was doing something similar to your situation with my laptop and desktop/main stereo systems and got tired of changing connections each time so I bought a Bluesound Node 2. It has a built-in DAC with RCA output to a preamp but you can also use the S/PDIF digital output to an external DAC such as in your P5 preamp. It’s a decent music player in its own right so you may not even need the DAC on the P5.

The Node 2 can be connected to your internet router with an ethernet cable or wi-fi and streams music from the web or from a music library stored on a USB drive connected directly to the Node 2. It also streams from a NAS drive connected to your router, which is what I use now. The Node 2 is controlled using BluOS software on your laptop. (More info at bluesound.com)

The Node 2 is discounted right now for $450 USD directly or through MusicDirect.com. My hunch is that Bluesound is coming out with a revamped line up of players/speakers so they’re getting rid of stock.

So with a Node 2 you can have it sitting discreetly with your main stereo system and stream internet stations as well as ripped or downloaded music stored on an external hard drive, all controlled by your laptop, tablet, or smart phone from wherever you want.

Just an idea. =)

Regards,

Tom

PS: There are less expensive alternatives to the Node 2, such as the Pi players available from allo.com but the Node 2 is really easy to set up and start playing music and not that much more money.

@tketcham  - Thank you for the message.  When I rec'd. it this AM, I was intrigued because I have been thinking about how to listen music in two rooms.  My "listening room" is the living room (for me & my dog), but I spend a lot of time in the kitchen-dining room area.  I have fans, refrig., and what-not going on in the latter space, so it is difficult to try to listen to what is playing in the listening room.

Of course, I know nothing about Bluesound or similar products.  So after reading your message, I called MD and talked with a knowledgeable person. 

My essential question was, "OK.  I subscribe to Spotify Premium.  Say I have a B. Node 2 connected as part of my main rig, internet-connected via ethernet.  In another room, I want to listen through non-powered, non-bluetooth bookshelf speakers.  I have a small integrated amp for powering the bookshelf speakers.  What else do I need to bring the Bluesound stream into this arrangement so that I can listen in the 2nd room?"

His response was that I would need another B. Node 2 unit.  Thus, this would be $450 for the first unit, and then $450 for the additional unit to retrieve and make use of the sound in a 2nd room.

Now, keep in mind that I'm a know-nothing on this, so I could have gotten something wrong along the line.  Does that sound about right for you?

Thanks again for your message.  I enjoyed the research.

Well, I ended up buying two Node 2 units, one for the small stereo in the living room and one for the basement stereo room. If you're not wanting to spend the extra money you could look into one of the less expensive Pi players. I believe you can add an inexpensive DAC plug-in so you'd have RCA line output for your integrated in the kitchen.

But I'm not that familiar with the Pi players so can't offer much advice. There are forums that have discussed the players at length, including the Digital - PC Audio forum at AudioAsylum.com.

Good luck in your quest!

Tom