CD ripping for the lower end.

I have a decent hifi system. I listen to CDs mostly. Thinking about going modestly digital just to test the waters. Right now I have an old iMac that will be my server. It is too old for all current ripping and cataloging software so it will probably be iTunes for ripping and playing. I will use Apple Remote on my cell phone which is a fairly capable remote at this level and works with the older version of iTunes on this old iMac.This is all probably commensurate with the entry level DAC I just got used off eBay, a Schiit Modi 2 Uber. I’ll get a Monoprice USB cable for it. I’ve got some high end RCA cables for DAC to Pre-amp.

If this works out okay and the SQ is tolerable I might step things up and use my MacBook Pro in which case I could get dBpoweramp for ripping and something to bypass iTunes for playback. Might even upgrade the DAC.

The first question I have is that for right now, what format should I rip the CDs to? Space is not a big concern. I’ve only got about 150 CDs and won’t rip them all. The primary consideration would be sound quality and future ’portability’ if I move up to higher end DAC and all that.

The second question is should I use my MacBook or new iMac to rip using dBpoweramp and then move the files to the old iMac?

Thanks for your help.

George
n80
Here is an update:

Got the Schiit Modi 2 Uber today. 
It works just fine with the old iMac.
Ripped a CD (Gaucho by Steely Dan) into iTunes-ALAC
Played it back through the Schiit.
It sounds very good but A/B testing shows it not to be as good as CD. Close but not as rich or full. Generally would not spend quality listening time with this level of SQ. Fine for background listening.

I have downloaded XLD and am ripping Gaucho into my MacBook...although I found that XLD will also work on the old iMac. We'll see how that sounds via iTunes as well.

Then I'll get BitPerfect on the MacBook and see how the XLD ripped CD sounds. If I'm happy, I'll stop there. 

If not, will get JRiver or Amarra or Audirvana and try that.

XLD is a bit clunky and very slow. Might bite for dB-Poweramp if I decide to do a lot of CDs.
I got BitPerfect on the MacBook. It sounds better than iTunes on the iMac.

But there is still a difference between the CD and BitPerfect.

I downloaded the free trial of Audirvana and did not think it significantly better than BitPerfect.

I did blinded A/B testing with Audirvana vs the CD. I could easily and consistently identify the CD. I felt like the CD was brighter and crisper.

I did the same A/B testing with my wife as the listener. She could also easily tell there was a difference. She initially felt like the CD was a little too tinny and like Audirvana better. But after several more tests she said that even though they were different she had a hard time saying if one was better than the other.

So I'm thinking my cheap little system is good enough. Since I can't tell much difference between Audirvana and BitPerfect I'll stick with the cheaper BitPerfect. At this point I've only got about $135 in this venture.

If I absolutely knew were to effect a significant improvement I might go there but right now I'm uncertain. Maybe a better USB cable. But, not sure it is worth going to the Schiit Modi Multibit at this point. 
I RIP using iTunes to Apple Lossless (ALAC).  I use Apple Airport Express and Apple TV (and, recently, Google Chromecast Audio) devices with digital out direct to DAC.  I can run my system from my laptop, iPad, or phone.  The wireless digital signal is state of the art and the sound quality is dependent on your system (the better your system, the better the sound quality will be).

This is so easy and inexpensive it is hard for me to understand why so many seem unsatisfied with this solution.  The AEX is limited to 44.1 KHz/16.  For enthusiasts of hi-res audio, more expensive equipment will be needed.

Yes, I have experienced the difference in sound hi-res can make.  I think it is interesting, but not such an improvement of the listening experience that it justifies a priority position in my upgrade chain.  Before that, I think you will get a very pleasant "Bang-for-your-Buck" sensation if you upgrade to one of Schitt's "Multi-bit" DACS.
Multibit upgrade was significant for me.  On the other hand, why not live with what you have at the moment and when you get the bug to improve things, then move up to multibit?  Maybe find a used Bifrost which will have the advantage of either having, or could be upgraded to the Gen 5 USB board.
Agreed. The nice thing about these little Schiit products is that they hold their value fairly well. The one I have is $150 new and I got a great deal on this one for $110, in the box, like new.

This is a bit off topic but people on eBay are buying these for $145 used, without the original box when you can buy one new for $150. I don’t get that. But, that means I could probably sell mine for $110 easy and get all my money back.

Anyway, I’ll keep what I have for now. It really does sound pretty good to me. Further A/B testing confirms a difference but hard to say one is way better than the other (old Sony CD player).