Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, you should know better than that. Having said that, I should probably have known that you don’t know better than that.

If you are having an issue with someone, or something he/she posted, keep me out of it; that was your first mistake. I challenge you to find and post one, one single example of a time that I wrote something that could remotely be construed as being insulting that was not in response to someone else’s (usually you, or....well, I’ll practice what I just preached) clearly insulting comment or attack. A disagreement about the music is not an “insult”; unwarranted personal attacks and comments on a music forum about a participant’s musical tastes are. As is referring to someone else’s musical offering as “noise”; even if it is to you.

Now, before you lash out again, please consider the hypocrisy and double standard that your post demonstrates; unfortunately, not an isolated instance. You are correct, I don’t need anyone’s “protection”; as you say, “no sacred cows here” (something that ALL should remember). So, why are you protecting someone else? Or, at the very least, USING someone else to attack someone that you may have your own issue with. Or, looked at a different way, if what you unfortunately advocate is true (and I couldn’t disagree more)...

**** People here pretty much say what they want. Don’t like it, move on. ****

....is that the sound of the door shutting behind you that I hear? Can’t have it both ways.

pjw, rare gem indeed! Thanks for posting that. One of my very favorite things on all of YouTube which has been posted here a couple of times before. That is such a great example of, and touches on so much of what gets talked about here: two totally different and equally valid stylistic approaches to the same music. Gotta love YouTube!

First of all, I don't even know what the issue was between O-10 and Inna.

I don't even know what the alleged 'insult' was.   I don't even care.

But, he 'threatened' to delete all his posts because O-10 didn't heed his 'warnings'.    WTF!!!!   Just because O-10 had the temerity to "insult" The Frogman.  hahahahahhahahhahaha

Now, The Frogman insults people on an almost daily basis.  He uses polite language, but he insults them nevertheless.   Maybe he thinks we are not smart enough to understand it.   As if, he has to use cuss words or vulgar words for us to 'get' the insult.

News flash to The Frogman:   We went to school also.

Now, no insult was intended by this post.   Cause Lord knows, I don't want to come under 'Frogman minion' attack.

Cheers

Why do I have to get into these things whether I want to or not?

Frogman, someone else drew you into this "nothing" that occurs when someone doesn't know when to quit.

Rather than write a post on this calamity, I'll state that Rok's sounds pretty good to me, and further more, brother Ray Charles made some applicable remarks on the subject for anyone that the shoe fits; while his statements are subject to gross misinterpretation, so be it; take this with a grain of salt and as much humor as you can muster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Tiz6INF7I