Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Why do I have to get into these things whether I want to or not?

Frogman, someone else drew you into this "nothing" that occurs when someone doesn't know when to quit.

Rather than write a post on this calamity, I'll state that Rok's sounds pretty good to me, and further more, brother Ray Charles made some applicable remarks on the subject for anyone that the shoe fits; while his statements are subject to gross misinterpretation, so be it; take this with a grain of salt and as much humor as you can muster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Tiz6INF7I

inna, I appreciate your attitude and I understand you. I witnessed this "quarrel" many times and wanted to react. Partly I agree with rok when he says something like "who are we to say/judge anything" - and this opinion stopped me for doing anything but partly I thought that something should be said from the rest of us. It is more stupid just to ignore it and pretend that nothing is going on.

I follow this thread whenever I have the time to do so but on the other hand I do not follow it in detail ('cause you guys produce the jazz clips faster than an average bakery produces donuts per a day) so I cannot be familiar with all what is said between fro and orpheus. One has to be fully involved to understand. If nothing then out of respect for the both guys.

But from what I can see, I have never seen fro making the first step in the quarrel (this is where I do not agree with rok).  It was orpheus. Fro continued to be in the defensive mode and in my opinion, if somebody throw a stone on you, I am perfectly fine with the fact that you throw the stone (not bread like Jesus) on him back. Therefore, fro's reactions are justified. And frankly, I admire the guy and his patience. He obviously care about a jazz a lot (this is jazz thread after all) to put aside the personal things.

As for orpheus, it is hard for me to say anything since I respect the guy. But whenever I see him provoking fro, I say to myself, oh my god, there he goes again. Then I remember that he is going through rough times so I let it go. Think about some jazz players, mildly would be to say that they had an awful behaviour, but you still like their music, don't you?

So personal issues (if there are any) are to be let go (?) in order to put the jazz on the first place. If we would not do that, this thread would quickly fall apart. OK, say it as rok said and move on.

And if nothing, I even think that now and then, such situations attracts people to follow this thread even more. People like to see blood. I can already see them watching and cheering. There is no biz like showbiz...

But orpheus, with all due respect, take it easy man...

So jazz...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP02sgYrHsw

pjw
Nice clip with Coltrane/Getz. Their contrast in styles could not be more apparent.
Here's another clip with W Kelly on piano and same bass &drum player. They solo on different songs. Apparently from a Miles tour w/his group on an evening where Miles sat out.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HE9bRhUwELE

More G Ammons w/S Stitt
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hwCN-6133Y