Horns: Why don't they image well?

Anyone have a theory?

\\\\\\
o| O O |o
  \ . ^ . /
erik_squires
Perhaps some horns don’t image well but the Avantgarde Trio’s I heard some 20 years ago imaged spookily well off an old vinyl playing a Jazz combo.

The only other speaker that came close for sheer imagery alone was an old Quad 57 channeling some male opera voice. The tightness of the image was uncanny. I bought them, and they were just average on Springsteen. They needed space and I didn’t have any.

Is it fair to say that (as well as a suitable recording) plenty of space behind the speaker is essential for good imagery?

Lots of speakers don’t image well. Everything is relative. It’s not black and white. 🦓 Define image. The imaging is not dependent on speakers anyway, at least not entirely. Not by a long shot. Hel-loo!
Hey ozzy,

Are your Klipschorns stock or have you done any of the usual or unusual tweaks/upgrades?

@phusis wrote:  " but in any event I find singling out particular horn geometries as "the best" to be more of a marketing ploy to boost business than a marker of the diversity of great sounding horns out there."

My statement about the Oblate Spheroid profile was based on my understanding that it is the mathematical optimum for minimizing detrimental internal reflections within the horn.  There are other profiles optimized for other things - minimum phase, wavefront preservation, etc. 

Duke